Honored Contributor

Re: Drugs now kill more people than cars and guns

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The big-time dealers are going to the dark web. They are using it to do business. Our postal system is being abused by these people. If you know how, you can have your mailman deliver your fix and no one will ever know.

@SilleeMee

vice.com has a really article about the Dark Web.

Check it out. 

@sidsmom,

I love the vice tv channel. That's where I saw the show about the dealers. But I have know about the dark web for sometime now. It's frightening how much we don't know about it.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  Thank you, my friend. Watching your child suffer is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. I'm his caregiver as well as his advocate and the battle of the opiates is something I am involved in on numerous levels. 

There is no easy answer and so many people are hurting/being hurt.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't know what the answer is when it's painkillers, but I think it would be a good idea to research why some people become addicted to them and why some don't.

You made a very good point Noel. I really can't take strong pain medications because I don't like how they make me feel, and I've always have been this way, from my first C-section I asked for regular Tylenol by the second day. 

I saw my rheumalologist this past week and she and I agreed that I would just take over the counter Motrin despite my huge pain levels from time to time. 

Hi @JaneMarple

I wonder if there's a genetic difference.  I never had real pain killers until this past June, and then I was on Oxy for two months.  It works wonders, I'll tell you that.  But I got to the point where I knew I could handle the decreasing pain and I just stopped them all together.

I'd refused to take Morphine in the hospital and they really lectured me there.  I said it gave me a rush that made me feel weird and they said, "Yes, but that goes away fast, you really need it."  so I was shot up with morphine every six hours or so for five days, maybe four.

That's the problem with painkillers, they do work wonders.

They certainly do @Noel7, I was given Oxycontin last year after surgery and they helped tremendously but I didn't finish them all , they went down the drain.

@JaneMarple

I went through a couple of orders, they don't give you much at a time, and then just one of the last order.

Just an FYI, but here we are told not to put them down the drain because they enter the water supply and some meds don't flush out.

Walgreens and other pharmacies will take your leftovers (at least here) and get them disposed of safely.

Honored Contributor

I think much of the problem is, with painkillers, is that so many are susceptible to addiction and the doctors either don't see that, or don't make the attempt to figure that out before prescribing.

I live in pain.  Since I stopped having medical care, I get some help when I can.  Fortunately, I'm not one who is susceptible to becoming addicted because I'm so practical.  I know that I cannot get it regularly, so when I do have some pain meds, I spread them out to last as long as possible.  To accomplish this, I've never allowed myself to take them more than one or two times a week.

But I'll tell ya this - on those days I have a few hours of feeling almost normal again and I get a lot done.  It's really special for me and I don't have to worry about them losing efficacy either, since I will only take one dose that day.

Unfortunately, I don't have a source right now and it really is making it difficult to stay up and be productive.  I mostly just do what I must do each day.  

But I can see how easy it would be for people to get addicted when they can get them all the time, and never have to worry about running out.  In the case of prescribing, this is on the doctors.  Sure, some people doctor-shop, but I think there is a centralized system now, no?   So, it's probably not as easy as it used to be.

I think even if I could get pain meds all the time I would still be practical because my brain reminds me that if I take something regularly, it will soon lose efficacy and then I'm right back where I started.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@Noel7  Thank you, my friend. Watching your child suffer is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. I'm his caregiver as well as his advocate and the battle of the opiates is something I am involved in on numerous levels. 

There is no easy answer and so many people are hurting/being hurt.

@SahmIam

I understand, I can't think of anything worse than watching your child suffer. 

You're a brave woman and strong @SahmIam, I know because that's what you have to be when you are an advocate for your child.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I think much of the problem is, with painkillers, is that so many are susceptible to addiction and the doctors either don't see that, or don't make the attempt to figure that out before prescribing.

I live in pain.  Since I stopped having medical care, I get some help when I can.  Fortunately, I'm not one who is susceptible to becoming addicted because I'm so practical.  I know that I cannot get it regularly, so when I do have some pain meds, I spread them out to last as long as possible.  To accomplish this, I've never allowed myself to take them more than one or two times a week.

But I'll tell ya this - on those days I have a few hours of feeling almost normal again and I get a lot done.  It's really special for me and I don't have to worry about them losing efficacy either, since I will only take one dose that day.

Unfortunately, I don't have a source right now and it really is making it difficult to stay up and be productive.  I mostly just do what I must do each day.  

But I can see how easy it would be for people to get addicted when they can get them all the time, and never have to worry about running out.  In the case of prescribing, this is on the doctors.  Sure, some people doctor-shop, but I think there is a centralized system now, no?   So, it's probably not as easy as it used to be.

I think even if I could get pain meds all the time I would still be practical because my brain reminds me that if I take something regularly, it will soon lose efficacy and then I'm right back where I started.  

@chickenbutt

I worry about you so much.  I don't know enough about the new O health care, but isn't there something there for you?  Be it an MD or medication?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited: I'm only guessing that the escalating rate could be attributed to tweens/teens who are dipping into their parents' medicine cabinets.  It used to be that the 'rich kids' would steal from their parents' stash of pills (tranqul*zers, sleeping meds, etc.)  But, now, it seems as though it's done by some/many,  from just about everyone (some/many) who have meds.  Haven't I heard how the (some/many?) teens/tweens just 'dump' a variety of pills into a large bowl when attending their parties. (?) Just a thought, of course. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I have been prescribed pain killers in the past, and I only have taken them on an "As Needed" basis.

I have pills left over that I use for things like when my back goes out, and I am in pain.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't know what the answer is when it's painkillers, but I think it would be a good idea to research why some people become addicted to them and why some don't.

You made a very good point Noel. I really can't take strong pain medications because I don't like how they make me feel, and I've always have been this way, from my first C-section I asked for regular Tylenol by the second day. 

I saw my rheumalologist this past week and she and I agreed that I would just take over the counter Motrin despite my huge pain levels from time to time. 

Hi @JaneMarple

I wonder if there's a genetic difference.  I never had real pain killers until this past June, and then I was on Oxy for two months.  It works wonders, I'll tell you that.  But I got to the point where I knew I could handle the decreasing pain and I just stopped them all together.

I'd refused to take Morphine in the hospital and they really lectured me there.  I said it gave me a rush that made me feel weird and they said, "Yes, but that goes away fast, you really need it."  so I was shot up with morphine every six hours or so for five days, maybe four.

That's the problem with painkillers, they do work wonders.

They certainly do @Noel7, I was given Oxycontin last year after surgery and they helped tremendously but I didn't finish them all , they went down the drain.

@JaneMarple

I went through a couple of orders, they don't give you much at a time, and then just one of the last order.

Just an FYI, but here we are told not to put them down the drain because they enter the water supply and some meds don't flush out.

Walgreens and other pharmacies will take your leftovers (at least here) and get them disposed of safely.

No worries Noel because I have a septic tank so they didn't affect the water supply. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey Noel!  Thanks for caring.   That means a lot.   The problem is that in my state malpractice insurance is so expensive now that doctors are really reticent to prescribe and especially with a patient, such as myself, who has PTSD and depression.  If you did - you know what - they fear being sued, as the prescriber.  As a consequence, it's really difficult.

I stopped going to doctors several years ago and am just hanging in there.  When I can get help, I have some better days.  Otherwise, I'm pretty used to my lot in life at this point.  Smiley Happy