Honored Contributor

Re: Drugs now kill more people than cars and guns

@ROMARY wrote:

I'm only guessing that it's tweens/teens who are dipping into their parents' medicine cabinets.  It used to be that the 'rich kids' would steal from their parents' stash of pills (tranqul*zers, sleeping meds, etc.)  But, now, it seems as though it's done by some/many,  from just about everyone (some/many) who have meds.  Haven't I heard how the (some/many?) teens/tweens just 'dump' a variety of pills into a large bowl when attending their parties. (?) Just a thought, of course. 

Sadly it's not "tween/teens" who are the problem, they're all ages right up into senior citizens. I saw a documentary a few weeks ago on NatGeo that portrayed a man in his 70s still hooked on heroin. This man actually worked for the drug pishers testing all new samples. Woman Surprised

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Where are people finding all these doctors to prescribe pain killers?  Mine very rarely does and no one I know either. I need to switch practices. 

Valued Contributor

I knew this Dr. when I worked at Taylor Hospital.

-----------------------------------

Thursday, December 10, 2015
A Delaware County doctor convicted of using his practice to illegally sell prescriptions is heading to prison.

Sixty-one-year-old Dr. Lawrence Wean of Media, Pennsylvania, was sentenced to 10 to 20 years behind bars on Wednesday.

Wean was found guilty of 99 counts of unlawfully prescribing a controlled substance as well as insurance fraud.

Investigators say Wean charged $200-300 to write them.

Wean served the community for 27 years before his arrest last year.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi, Jayne Marple!  I edited my post.  I guess I meant that the escalating rate could be because of some/many/whatever teens/tweens sneaking into adults' (parents', grandparents', parents' of their friends) medicine cabinets.  A few pills here, a few pills there.......then they take them to group parties (from what I've been hearing), and dump them into a common bowl.  Just one added more reason.  Also, we didn't have all of these meds that we have today.  Medicine wasn't as advanced in those days, and I'm only guessing that there weren't very many meds in families' medicine cabinets (way back then).   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey Noel!  Thanks for caring.   That means a lot.   The problem is that in my state malpractice insurance is so expensive now that doctors are really reticent to prescribe and especially with a patient, such as myself, who has PTSD and depression.  If you did - you know what - they fear being sued, as the prescriber.  As a consequence, it's really difficult.

I stopped going to doctors several years ago and am just hanging in there.  When I can get help, I have some better days.  Otherwise, I'm pretty used to my lot in life at this point.  Smiley Happy 

_____

@chickenbutt  In an ideal world, if you could have everything you want in terms of improving your situation, what would that be?  You don't have to answer that on this board if that is prying.  Can you think of things you could do to move toward that goal and improve your comfort, even if it wouldn't get you all the way there?  Is there a clinic or hospital near you where you might speak to a new doctor or other health-care provider?  I don't want to pry or nag, but is there something you could do to fix at least part of this?  All the best.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm just the opposite.  I 'try' a med./pill by just taking 1/4 of a tablet first.  Just to see how I react to it.  Even OTC.  Usually a quarter to a half of a OTC pill works just as well, (if not, even better, side effect-wise).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

we have the doctors to blame for the pain killers imo.

our neighbor had two surgeries.  one a shoulder repair and one a replacement somewhere and he ended up in a rehab.  i blame his doctor for this.  he was too happy to write the scripts for him and look, what happened.

This is too broad of a statement and lumps all doctors together. This might have been the case for that one particular doctor, but I can tell you that is rare. 

The druggies/frequent fliers have made it so bad on legitimate people in need, doctors hands have been forced to the point they won't prescribe them anymore. Doctors are scared to death of losing their green pad privileges because they are seeing their colleagues lose theirs for the slightest infraction. 

There is too much to lose after all of those years in medical school and the DEA has cracked down so much that people in genuine need can't get it. 

Respected Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

we have the doctors to blame for the pain killers imo.

our neighbor had two surgeries.  one a shoulder repair and one a replacement somewhere and he ended up in a rehab.  i blame his doctor for this.  he was too happy to write the scripts for him and look, what happened.

This is too broad of a statement and lumps all doctors together. This might have been the case for that one particular doctor, but I can tell you that is rare. 

The druggies/frequent fliers have made it so bad on legitimate people in need, doctors hands have been forced to the point they won't prescribe them anymore. Doctors are scared to death of losing their green pad privileges because they are seeing their colleagues lose theirs for the slightest infraction. 

There is too much to lose after all of those years in medical school and the DEA has cracked down so much that people in genuine need can't get it. 

I agree, @jackiejenny.  Further, I am appalled by the arrogance and ignorance of some pushing this crusade against opiates.  They have NO expertise in medicine or science yet want to tell doctors and drug companies what to do.  They are full of themselves and on an ego trip in some cases.  There's something to what they say, but it bothers me that some of them dismiss the opinions of doctors who specialize in pain management.  These doctors are life savers for people who really need help.  Their hands should not be tied, as some say is increasingly happening.

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't know what the answer is when it's painkillers, but I think it would be a good idea to research why some people become addicted to them and why some don't.

You made a very good point Noel. I really can't take strong pain medications because I don't like how they make me feel, and I've always have been this way, from my first C-section I asked for regular Tylenol by the second day. 

I saw my rheumalologist this past week and she and I agreed that I would just take over the counter Motrin despite my huge pain levels from time to time. 

Hi @JaneMarple

I wonder if there's a genetic difference.  I never had real pain killers until this past June, and then I was on Oxy for two months.  It works wonders, I'll tell you that.  But I got to the point where I knew I could handle the decreasing pain and I just stopped them all together.

I'd refused to take Morphine in the hospital and they really lectured me there.  I said it gave me a rush that made me feel weird and they said, "Yes, but that goes away fast, you really need it."  so I was shot up with morphine every six hours or so for five days, maybe four.

That's the problem with painkillers, they do work wonders.

They certainly do @Noel7, I was given Oxycontin last year after surgery and they helped tremendously but I didn't finish them all , they went down the drain.

Unused meds are never supposed to go down the drain or flushed or thrown into a landfill.  Please contact your local police station for the location where they can be taken and destroyed correctly.  Thank you.  @JaneMarple

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't know what the answer is when it's painkillers, but I think it would be a good idea to research why some people become addicted to them and why some don't.

You made a very good point Noel. I really can't take strong pain medications because I don't like how they make me feel, and I've always have been this way, from my first C-section I asked for regular Tylenol by the second day. 

I saw my rheumalologist this past week and she and I agreed that I would just take over the counter Motrin despite my huge pain levels from time to time. 

Hi @JaneMarple

I wonder if there's a genetic difference.  I never had real pain killers until this past June, and then I was on Oxy for two months.  It works wonders, I'll tell you that.  But I got to the point where I knew I could handle the decreasing pain and I just stopped them all together.

I'd refused to take Morphine in the hospital and they really lectured me there.  I said it gave me a rush that made me feel weird and they said, "Yes, but that goes away fast, you really need it."  so I was shot up with morphine every six hours or so for five days, maybe four.

That's the problem with painkillers, they do work wonders.

They certainly do @Noel7, I was given Oxycontin last year after surgery and they helped tremendously but I didn't finish them all , they went down the drain.

Unused meds are never supposed to go down the drain or flushed or thrown into a landfill.  Please contact your local police station for the location where they can be taken and destroyed correctly.  Thank you.  @JaneMarple

Thanks for your concern @truffle but as I stated, it was LAST YEAR and they're long gone!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson