Honored Contributor

Drugs now kill more people than cars and guns

Wow, how incredibly sad is this:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/health/heroin-opioid-drug-overdose-deaths-visual-guide/index.html

Whether you consider CNN as a source for news for me this article should give everyone pause.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Drugs now kill more people than cars and guns

I am not surprised by this in any way.

Honored Contributor

Between drugs,and guns  killing so many ,it is frightening.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

By the way that The Cape and the rest of Massachusetts is looking, I don't doubt this at all!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

we have the doctors to blame for the pain killers imo.

our neighbor had two surgeries.  one a shoulder repair and one a replacement somewhere and he ended up in a rehab.  i blame his doctor for this.  he was too happy to write the scripts for him and look, what happened.

Respected Contributor

I agree that sometimes doctors are too quick to give painkillers for minor surgeries.  However, they need to be careful not to deny people who desperately need these medicines.  Why do we hear so much about the doctors and the drug companies and so little about the heroin that is pouring into this country?  Can more be done to stop it?  It's certainly a big job.  How many news stories have there been about the underground tunnels the cartels use to ship heroin into the U.S.?

Honored Contributor

I don't know what the answer is when it's painkillers, but I think it would be a good idea to research why some people become addicted to them and why some don't.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who is very tiny  - only weighs 93 pounds - but she was seeing a pain doctor and he had her on such high doses of pain meds she was barely breathing when she was asleep.She was taking about 6 times the recommended doses for a normal adult, and that was just her baseline meds - she also was given narcotic pain meds for "break through pain" when she had surgery. She still takes the baseline meds and when the back surgeon oks it she will have to go to a rehab to be gotten off the baseline drugs she is addicted to. Imagine having that to look forward to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you think of the fatalities from not just heroin or other illegal drugs, but also prescription meds, over-the-counter meds, and alcohol (yes, it's a drug) - accidental or otherwise - it's even more tragic.

There, but for the grace of God and the universe, go we all.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't know what the answer is when it's painkillers, but I think it would be a good idea to research why some people become addicted to them and why some don't.

You made a very good point Noel. I really can't take strong pain medications because I don't like how they make me feel, and I've always have been this way, from my first C-section I asked for regular Tylenol by the second day. 

I saw my rheumalologist this past week and she and I agreed that I would just take over the counter Motrin despite my huge pain levels from time to time. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson