Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 954
Registered: ‎11-06-2011

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

they test for opiates because they can be and are abused by those who do not have prescriptions . Tramadol is a synthetic opioid as is Vicodin - synthetic opioid. Tramadol may not even show up on the panel - but to be safe -

Just have a valid script .

Super Contributor
Posts: 833
Registered: ‎02-15-2015

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

On 3/12/2015 moonstone dunes said:

they test for opiates because they can be and are abused by those who do not have prescriptions . Tramadol is a synthetic opioid as is Vicodin - synthetic opioid. Tramadol may not even show up on the panel - but to be safe -

Just have a valid script .

They are also abused by those who do have prescriptions.

Happens all the time.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,947
Registered: ‎05-13-2012

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

Testing conducted according to SAMHSA’s guidelines checks for five illicit drugs plus, in some cases, alcohol (ethanol, ethyl alcohol, booze). These five illicit drugs are:

  • Amphetamines (meth, speed, crank, ecstasy)
  • THC (cannabinoids, marijuana, hash)
  • Cocaine (coke, crack)
  • Opiates (heroin, opium, codeine, morphine)
  • Phencyclidine (PCP, angel dust)

However, most private employers are not limited in the number of substances they can test for and may include drugs that individuals legitimately and/or therapeutically take based on a physician’s prescription. Although most private employers can test for any combination of drugs, there are commonly selected “panels.”

The typical 8-Panel Test includes the above-mentioned substances plus:

  • Barbiturates (phenobarbital, butalbital, secobarbital, downers)
  • Benzodiazepines (tranquilizers like Valium, Librium, Xanax)
  • Methaqualone (Quaaludes)

The typical 10-Panel Test includes the 8-Panel Test plus:

  • Methadone (often used to treat heroin addiction)
  • Propoxyphene (Darvon compounds)

Testing can also be done for:

  • Hallucinogens (LSD, mushrooms, mescaline, peyote)
  • Inhalants (paint, glue, hairspray)
  • Anabolic steroids (synthesized, muscle-building hormones)
  • Hydrocodone (prescription medication known as Lortab, Vicodin, Oxycodone)
  • MDMA ( commonly known as Ecstasy)
Super Contributor
Posts: 954
Registered: ‎11-06-2011

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:
On 3/12/2015 moonstone dunes said:

they test for opiates because they can be and are abused by those who do not have prescriptions . Tramadol is a synthetic opioid as is Vicodin - synthetic opioid. Tramadol may not even show up on the panel - but to be safe -

Just have a valid script .

They are also abused by those who do have prescriptions.

Happens all the time.

sure, so many are of oxy and vico junkies. some doctors are all too willing to make people happy. there was a crackdown on writing scripts but maybe some lost the memo

Super Contributor
Posts: 833
Registered: ‎02-15-2015

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

On 3/12/2015 moonstone dunes said:
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:
On 3/12/2015 moonstone dunes said:

they test for opiates because they can be and are abused by those who do not have prescriptions . Tramadol is a synthetic opioid as is Vicodin - synthetic opioid. Tramadol may not even show up on the panel - but to be safe -

Just have a valid script .

They are also abused by those who do have prescriptions.

Happens all the time.

sure, so many are of oxy and vico junkies. some doctors are all too willing to make people happy. there was a crackdown on writing scripts but maybe some lost the memo

And some are good at going to more than one doctor to get what they need (want).

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎12-08-2014

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

They are looking for illegal, recreational drugs. That's why they ask job applicants what medications they are taking. Drug tests aren't as fine tuned and specific as some people seem to think they are. The truth is always better than a lie.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,648
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

On 3/11/2015 shoekitty said:

How do you ever sleep with Tramadol? I take it day time. When I took it at night, i would wake up after a couple hours, and stay awake/ As long as you have a script it is okay

I was wondering that, too. I wish! I take it and the first time I tried it I didn't know that it can wire you (especially at first), and I took it in the evening. I was up the ENTIRE night. Lesson learned. Now I take 2tabs once a day around 11am. It helps me through the day, but it does virtually nothing for pain. I also heard it could help mildly with depression and I think it does enough for me to just keep me out of the hole (most of the time).

I am also surprised that it is now considered a narcotic. Geez, this is the stuff they gave us for the puppy when he had his operation! It's extremely mild and, from many years of pharm experience, I have a hard time believing it could possibly be considered narcotic.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎12-08-2014

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

On 3/12/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 3/11/2015 shoekitty said:

How do you ever sleep with Tramadol? I take it day time. When I took it at night, i would wake up after a couple hours, and stay awake/ As long as you have a script it is okay

I was wondering that, too. I wish! I take it and the first time I tried it I didn't know that it can wire you (especially at first), and I took it in the evening. I was up the ENTIRE night. Lesson learned. Now I take 2tabs once a day around 11am. It helps me through the day, but it does virtually nothing for pain. I also heard it could help mildly with depression and I think it does enough for me to just keep me out of the hole (most of the time).

I am also surprised that it is now considered a narcotic. Geez, this is the stuff they gave us for the puppy when he had his operation! It's extremely mild and, from many years of pharm experience, I have a hard time believing it could possibly be considered narcotic.


Huh? There's nothing wrong or bad about narcotics. There are various classes of drugs and narcotics is just one class of drugs. It's been a long time since I took a pharmaceuticals class but drugs in the narcotic class are used to relieve pain, make people drowsy, put people to sleep, as mood changers. There are good reasons to use a narcotic. Of course, they can be misused too. Also, some street drugs or illegal drugs aren't even narcotics.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,648
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

I can't speak for anybody else, but I know that I'm NOT saying that there is anything BAD about narcotics. All I'm saying is that this particular medication does not seem to be such that it would classify in that manner.

I don't think anybody said there is anything wrong with narcotics, but I KNOW that I didn't.

Hope that clears that up.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,940
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Drug screen for job- will this be an issue?

On 3/11/2015 betteb said:

It's been my experience that, as long as you have a valid prescription, it should be fine.

The purpose of a drug screen is more or less to look for illegal drugs or ones without prescription. Many drug screens aren't even very comprehensive. They only screen for several of the illegals, narcotics and tranquilizers. They don't screen for EVERY drug.

If you have a prescription for it, I don't think any drug would disqualify you.

Hyacinth