Honored Contributor

Re: Drug prices increasing 10X rate of inflation

@maestra  I am just grateful I am not stuck paying for the whole amount. But ,it is still outrageous that the price has more than doubled  in such a short time

WE need  some help with price gouging,  Armour thyroid is over 100 years old ,so they have more than recouped the money  they spent on  researching it

Respected Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@CareBearswrote:

@Trinity11 I was told by an employee at my husbands insurance company (that diabetes medication, glucose meters, strips, needles none of it was covered) as per this employee, the people that have diabetes is their own fault that is why we do not cover any diabetes medication or care, when I got done with her, let us just say that she saw the reason I am a Scorpio, of all the stupid things to say!  She thinks patients with diabetes if they exercise more and ate correctly, that the disease would just go away, according to her all diabetics are overweight and do not exercise that being the overall problems!

Smiley Surprised  That person is an idiot and needed to pay more attention in human anatomy class.  I don't wish illness on anyone but wouldn't you love to follow her as she gets older and starts developing conditions she didn't think she could get?  Tell that to @Trinity11's kids! 

@Laura14wrote:

@CareBearswrote:

@Trinity11 I was told by an employee at my husbands insurance company (that diabetes medication, glucose meters, strips, needles none of it was covered) as per this employee, the people that have diabetes is their own fault that is why we do not cover any diabetes medication or care, when I got done with her, let us just say that she saw the reason I am a Scorpio, of all the stupid things to say!  She thinks patients with diabetes if they exercise more and ate correctly, that the disease would just go away, according to her all diabetics are overweight and do not exercise that being the overall problems!

Smiley Surprised  That person is an idiot and needed to pay more attention in human anatomy class.  I don't wish illness on anyone but wouldn't you love to follow her as she gets older and starts developing conditions she didn't think she could get?  Tell that to @Trinity11's kids! 

She should be reported to her superiors; she is practicing medicine w/out a license. What a moron.

Trusted Contributor

@WenGirl42wrote:

@Laura14 I just want to say I appreciate your working so hard to find the list of medications that were measured Woman Happy  I wish everyone were as critical of information and interested in background and context (and I am not saying that to disparage anyone here.)

@WenGirl42 Thank you! You took the words right out of my mouth.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@cherrywrote:

snip

he price of Armour Thyroid, a brand name of natural desiccated thyroid, is going up. How much more remains to be seen. But as of October 2015, the price has been skyrocketing, with a 50% increase in just the period from July through September of 2015. Interestingly, at this same time, the issue of drug company price gouging also came front and center with the news of Turing Pharmaceuticals and their astronomical price increase for a drug that treats infections in AIDS patients.

I believe Mr. Shkreli (founder of Turing) is now warming a nice jail cell for that stunt.

I feel for you with thyroid meds.  There are generics available but usually they are not interchangeable and you don't have the option to take it. 

If NYC can do rent control for decades, the FDA can do thyroid med cost control.  Absolutely.      

@Laura14, just a point of clarification here:  Martin Shkreli was charged and found guilty of securities & wire fraud related to 2 hedge funds he ran in his MSMB Capital investment firm.  He illegally refunded investors in his MSMB firm by using funds from his pharmaceutical company.  He was not charged or convicted of anything related to his increasing the cost of the HIV medication by 5,000 percent.   Yes, he was required to testify on Capital Hill about that, but it wasn't against the law here in the United States so the charges and his conviction did not have anything to do with the price gouging of his pharmaceutical company.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota  Keep reading the thread.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My husband always takes care of filling our meds. He told me we don't have part D. So I don"t know who pays for my scrips. I only know we are insured ,and I use Wallgreens for eveything

Express scrips keeps sending me stuff, trying to get me to use their mail order, and I never will again

Honored Contributor

I have a solution. The government should outlaw those ubiquitous-- and obnoxious-- drug commercials on TV. Perhaps then Big Pharma could pass on the multimillion dollar savings from their bloated advertising budgets directly to us consumers. Prescription drug prices could be lowered, as well as the premiums we pay for drug insurance.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

____________________________________________________-

Hi @Laura14, I  have read the thread.  Just wanted to clarify that Shkreli did not go to jail for anything to do with raising the price of the HIV medication.   

Honored Contributor

@pitdakotawrote:

@Laura14wrote:

____________________________________________________-

Hi @Laura14, I  have read the thread.  Just wanted to clarify that Shkreli did not go to jail for anything to do with raising the price of the HIV medication.   

You must have missed my post then where I said exactly that after someone else had already clarified the charges.  

Respected Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@cherry

I wonder what paying for all these endless commercials for pharmacueticals adds to the cost of the drugs....It's like pharmacueticals and car commercials and a couple fast food chains are all we see nowadays....Woman Frustrated

My sister pays $200 for a 30 days supply for a medication she takes there is no generic and the pharmacist has tried all the ways he has to give her a coupon or some sort of discount to know avail.  And a friend's asthma medicine cost her $400 a month...........

And R&D my foot why is it in Europe the drugs cost so much less and many here that require a prescription are over the counter there.....And they have quite a powerful lobby group too Woman Sad

@Spurt, here is an article from the Wall Street Journal that discusses pricing between the US and European markets:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-u-s-pays-more-than-other-countries-for-drugs-1448939481

I think the article should be good since there are no sidebars in my view, but just in case someone wants to google, the title of the article is "Why the U.S. Pays More That Other Countries for Drugs, published in the Wall Street Journal.