Honored Contributor

Re: Drug prices increasing 10X rate of inflation

I'm taking nexium 2x a day and medicare won't cover it. It won't even cover the generic form. But it will cover brand name prilosec which doesn't help me a bit

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

• As a way to approximate the brand-name drugs most commonly prescribed for seniors, the minority staff identified the 20 most-prescribed brand-name drugs in the Medicare Part D program. In 2015, the top 20 most-prescribed brand-name drugs in Medicare Part D were Advair Diskus, Crestor, Januvia, Lantus/Lantus Solostar7, Lyrica, Nexium, Nitrostat, Novolog, Premarin, Proair HFA, Restasis, Spiriva Handihaler, Symbicort, Synthroid, Tamiflu, Ventolin HFA, Voltaren Gel, Xarelto, Zetia, and Zostavax.8

And there is the smoking gun.  Half of these have generics available which is what I thought we might find. 

As I am reading through it, they also mentioned that the co-pays for brand name were not substantially higher so people are not incentivized to go cheaper.  Another factor not related or in the control of any pharmaceutical company.    

Honored Contributor

@CareBearswrote:

@Trinity11 I was told by an employee at my husbands insurance company (that diabetes medication, glucose meters, strips, needles none of it was covered) as per this employee, the people that have diabetes is their own fault that is why we do not cover any diabetes medication or care, when I got done with her, let us just say that she saw the reason I am a Scorpio, of all the stupid things to say!  She thinks patients with diabetes if they exercise more and ate correctly, that the disease would just go away, according to her all diabetics are overweight and do not exercise that being the overall problems!

Smiley Surprised  That person is an idiot and needed to pay more attention in human anatomy class.  I don't wish illness on anyone but wouldn't you love to follow her as she gets older and starts developing conditions she didn't think she could get?  Tell that to @Trinity11's kids! 

Honored Contributor

Tell it to me and my parents. I guess they never heard of the skinny diabetic crisis in India, either. I get sick of hearing if you are diabetic you are overweight and eat cookies all day

I only eat 2 meals and I fast for hrs

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I'm taking nexium 2x a day and medicare won't cover it. It won't even cover the generic form. But it will cover brand name prilosec which doesn't help me a bit

That's exactly what this report says!  The formularies are not inclusive enough for the patients.  Insurer issue not pharmacy manufacturer.

Honored Contributor

Have you guys tried this "Plan Finder" they are referencing?  You apparently put in all of your prescriptions and it will tell you what Plan D plan will cover what you take the most.

Honored Contributor

Nexium, even the generic brand, isn't cheap and I take 2 a day, as well as 2 zantac and DGL licorace tablets..I have been doing this for 1 year. I might be on it the rest of my life

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of plan finder

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I've never heard of plan finder

Here you go.  Maybe it will be helpful to some of you.

Medicare Plan finder

Honored Contributor

Thanks I just checked and they won't cover armour thyroid either