Honored Contributor

Re: Drug prices increasing 10X rate of inflation

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

That was my point @Trinity11.  I want to know what drugs we are talking about which I am still looking for and shouldn't have to if a real journalist wrote this piece.   

I just want to be sure the article is honest and supports exactly what you just brought up.

Because I can tell you that one of the drugs highlighted (NitroStat) most definitely has a generic as do most cholesterol medications which were also mentioned but only as a class.  No specifics and I want them!  

What about Repatha? It costs me $1200.00 a month to fill that prescription. I have hereditary high cholesterol and Lipitor does not really work for me.

Surely, there are other posters here who have similar high deductibles and drugs that insurance will not cover.

The article is honest. Hard to read isn't it @Laura14???

Never dispensed it once. 

This article is focused on the top 20 most commonly prescribed whichever they may be since they are not revealed. 

I know what the most commonly prescribed drugs are because I am in the business. 

And I hate to say this to you because I know it's not helpful to your situation but the prescriptions you have mentioned even the insulin were not commonly dispensed in retail where most people get their drugs. Metformin/Glucophage several times a day.  Insulin injections maybe a couple a week.  

I'd love to know what the top 20 are they are referring to.  

Honored Contributor

My bil is on insulin. He uses that dreadful express scripts. I don't know what he pays. I hate that place and will never use them again

One of their so called pharmacists called me and tried to get me back on statins. I kept telling him I can't take them. I should have hung up on him

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@cherrywrote:

snip

he price of Armour Thyroid, a brand name of natural desiccated thyroid, is going up. How much more remains to be seen. But as of October 2015, the price has been skyrocketing, with a 50% increase in just the period from July through September of 2015. Interestingly, at this same time, the issue of drug company price gouging also came front and center with the news of Turing Pharmaceuticals and their astronomical price increase for a drug that treats infections in AIDS patients.

I believe Mr. Shkreli (founder of Turing) is now warming a nice jail cell for that stunt.

I feel for you with thyroid meds.  There are generics available but usually they are not interchangeable and you don't have the option to take it. 

If NYC can do rent control for decades, the FDA can do thyroid med cost control.  Absolutely.      

No.  Shkreli is serving time for securities fraud.  The courts were fine with him skrewing AIDS patients, but not wall street investors.

Kind of the same thing since he was using his drug company's profits to repay his investors but I do stand corrected.  They did not bring up charges specifically for the price hike.  That was legal.  Using the money he got from the price hike for investment fraud was not.    

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

That was my point @Trinity11.  I want to know what drugs we are talking about which I am still looking for and shouldn't have to if a real journalist wrote this piece.   

I just want to be sure the article is honest and supports exactly what you just brought up.

Because I can tell you that one of the drugs highlighted (NitroStat) most definitely has a generic as do most cholesterol medications which were also mentioned but only as a class.  No specifics and I want them!  

What about Repatha? It costs me $1200.00 a month to fill that prescription. I have hereditary high cholesterol and Lipitor does not really work for me.

Surely, there are other posters here who have similar high deductibles and drugs that insurance will not cover.

Never dispensed it once. 

This article is focused on the top 20 most commonly prescribed whichever they may be since they are not revealed. 

I know what the most commonly prescribed drugs are because I am in the business. 

And I hate to say this to you because I know it's not helpful to your situation but the prescriptions you have mentioned even the insulin were not commonly dispensed in retail where most people get their drugs. Metformin/Glucophage several times a day.  Insulin injections maybe a couple a week.  

Levemir and Novolog are not commonly dispensed? My pharmacist told me that more and more children are getting Type 1 diabetes than ever. According to her, she is dispensing it frequently and people are having a rough time paying for it. Even Type 2 diabetics take insulin.

Do you have a reference to where you read that insulin is only filled 2 times a week????

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Never dispensed it once. 

Levemir and Novolog are not commonly dispensed? My pharmacist told me that more and more children are getting Type 1 diabetes than ever. According to her, she is dispensing it frequently and people are having a rough time paying for it. Even Type 2 diabetics take insulin.

Do you have a reference to where you read that insulin is only filled 2 times a week????

My pharmacy tech job at Walgreens.  Maybe it's our location but most diabetics with us used tablets not injections.   

Honored Contributor

Regarding thyroid meds: I take Synthroid. I can not take a generic. I've tried and my blood tests results confirmed what I was feeling; it wasn't working the way Synthroid was. I won't get into the compare and contrast of generic vs trademark; that's for another day.

The issue with the meds going up in price, are due, IMHO, to supply and demand. THe number of people with thyroid issues is constantly increasing; is it due to better testing or something else? Don't know. I also know that women have a 50-50 chance with each pregnancy of coming out with thyroid disease (that was my situation after my first pregnancy). The number of women who develop Hypothyroidism post- menopause is the biggest known growing group (women outnumber men with the disease world-wide). Depending on who you talk to, it's either directly related to a major hormone change; it's related to age (or both)  or it's no big deal (hello UK). Doctors don't even agree on what levels are acceptable and whether weight issues are related to it. 

My point is that this drug is in demand in a big way more so now than before and if a company can make more money, it's going to: again, supply and demand. Demand is HIGH now, so...cough up the extra $$.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Never dispensed it once. 

My pharmacy tech job at Walgreens.  Maybe it's our location but most diabetics with us used tablets not injections.   

Type 1 diabetics cannot use tablets or oral medications to stay alive. They have no choice nor do many Type 2 diabetics who have lost all pancreatic function. In addition a lot of us Type 1 diabetics are using metformin ER for insulin resistance. So we use both oral meds and insulin.

Your example is really anecdotal. Statistically there are a lot of insulin prescriptions filled.

Honored Contributor

My bil is a type 2 and he uses insulin because metfromin just doesn't work for him. I think he takes both

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Never dispensed it once. 

Type 1 diabetics cannot use tablets or oral medications to stay alive. They have no choice nor do many Type 2 diabetics who have lost all pancreatic function. In addition a lot of us Type 1 diabetics are using metformin ER for insulin resistance. So we use both oral meds and insulin.

Your example is really anecdotal. Statistically there are a lot of insulin prescriptions filled.

It's not anecdotal.  I just posted the top 2018 drugs which is the most prescribed every year.  Metformin/Glucophage is top 5.  Insulin glargine is top 30.   If you don't beleive me, believe the government and pharmacy accreditation boards.

That's on par with the rate at which we dispensed in my pharmacy.  What your referencing is common but not as common as the other form which is much more popular and dispensed in much higher quantities. 

Not sure why this is even an issue but if you want facts, there you are.  And if this article is doing top 20, depending on what seniors are taking these days and what Medicare is paying for, it's possible it didn't make their top 20 either.    

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Never dispensed it once. 

It's not anecdotal.  I just posted the top 2018 drugs which is the most prescribed every year.  Metformin/Glucophage is top 5.  Insulin glargine is top 30.   If you don't beleive me, believe the government and pharmacy accreditation boards.

That's on par with the rate at which we dispensed in my pharmacy.  What your referencing is common but not as common as the other form which is much more popular and dispensed in much higher quantities. 

Not sure why this is even an issue but if you want facts, there you are.  And if this article is doing top 20, depending on what seniors are taking these days and what Medicare is paying for, it's possible it didn't make their top 20 either.    

I am not sure what your point is @Laura14. When a person HAS to take drugs that have risen exponentially in price......it doesn't negate the fact that the pharmaceutical industry is greedy and needs to be reformed.