Respected Contributor

Re: Drought Illness & Other Horrors in California

I know threads are fluid, but whoosh!  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Unbelievable Noel, we've been struggling to stay above 70 degrees here and the rain has been coming down in sheets.  I haven't seen the sun since last week.

You need the rain and we're getting waaaay too much.

Same here.  Three thunderstorms since this afternoon.  We've only had one day of sun in my neck of the woods.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not the first drought this state has experienced.........far from it.........nor will it be the last......it's not the first time allergies have gone a little wild from dust that has been kicked up..........and it won't be the last..........here in the San Joaquin Valley, allergies are the least of anyone's problem.........we've got Valley Fever.........and it won't be the first time we've experienced an out break of it........last one I remember was the winter of 78, I think..........and it's not the first time we've had to deal with the threat of fire.......nor will it be the last......there is no "horror" to it.......it's all just a part of living in California..................................................raven 

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

When I was a teen I worked in the fields and the temp was always 115 degree.  All I did was put a wet scarf around my head and around my neck and continued my work.   Nothing has changed....weather wise that is.

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I know threads are fluid, but whoosh!  

LOL   We do wonder as a normal way the mind works.   People do this daily.   The topic and subject flows all over the place.  

The weather changes all over the world all the time.   We are riding a living planet and we are nothing but parasites along for the ride.  We have to keep changing for this wild ride.

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

When I was a teen I worked in the fields and the temp was always 115 degree.  All I did was put a wet scarf around my head and around my neck and continued my work.   Nothing has changed....weather wise that is.

Uh-huh.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Just as long as they aren't building tons of houses with tons of bathrooms/flushing toilets in those drought areas.  Wouldn't make much sense, but who knows............Let's just wish and hope for refreshing rain in drought areas, and for sunny, dry skies in overly wet areas.  That's all we can do.............Cat Happy 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

The water company has mailed out letters to some towns already.  

Telling them the two days a week they can water their plants, and what time.    

Watering time is 7PM until 8am.   

Respected Contributor

I ;live in Sou Cal and will say that so many of the areas out here are not like their neighbor, 5 miles away. That can be in altitude, heat, moisture - you name it.

Like so many in my area, my once beautiful lawns are brown - OR GONE. Since our drought in 1973 I have watered only at night except my smaller back lawn which does not have a sprinkling system - I water that late near dark. I do not know if I will do anything to make outside look decent - I am not a person with extra money but will say having no decent lawns sure lowers the value of a home.

I had absolutely breathtaking beautiful lawns and was so proud of them. The trees are not looking real good either and I am worried about them - last year I lost three fruit trees. The soil here is clay - when it is dry it turns to cement. Water cannot seep down very much unless the watering is consistent. I have deep tree watering stakes and I cannot get them all the way down - they are two feet in length. If you have never had soil which is clay you are blessed. I would love to leave this state - the problems with water and other things has made it just a not so nice place to live quite frankly. Even the weather which was once super dry is now very muggy and my COPD does not like that. Actually the main reason I moved to California from New orleans in 1960 was due to the humidity in NO. Miserable.

Valued Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Thanks for checking in, renna!

110 in Sacto, oh no.  Dell is up there, I hope she's OK, what with the bad air.

NoelSeven thanks for thinking of me.  I am west of Sacramento.  Sacramento got to 107 Channel 3 said and my town inbetween San Francisco and Sacramento go to 103 degrees.  I have a duty which involves being outside tomorrow.  I take documents in a briefcase that has wheels on it down and take them to a building to be filed.  Then go across the street and deliver to different offices.  I dread it but am grateful I don't have a job where I work outside all day.  Have extra water bottles in the refrigerator for tomorrow.

Three weeks ago when I did this rotating duty I had a flat tire in the employer's car.  So I will check the tires before I start driving tomorrow.  Tomorrow night the sea breezes are supposed to kick in.