Honored Contributor

Re: Drought Illness & Other Horrors in California

I too only learned about dust pneumonia from the PBS Dust Bowl series. I learned a LOT from watching it.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I'm from Livermore and most of us had air conditioning, I think people will survive.
Honored Contributor

Re: Heat in NorCal - the one and only time I made it to Napa was in July or August and it was 106 when I was trying to sightsee :-(
Honored Contributor

From moonchilde:

Re: Heat in NorCal - the one and only time I made it to Napa was in July or August and it was 106 when I was trying to sightsee :-(

Oh, yes, it can get up there!  SF was 101 one day, I remember it well, we had to attend a birthday party and no one in SF has AC.  It was torture, and we were on the third floor of a house.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

chickenbutt wrote: "My dream would be to move back and live in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area. That will never happen, but I would be so content there. I also love San Francisco so much, and have loved it all my life. Such a beautiful city."

I can do it for you :-) I am retiring to Prunedale (between Salinas and Gilroy) within the year. I LOVE Monterey and Pacific Grove. I'm so excited I can do all their local fairs and celebrations once I move, and enjoy good food and wine :-) I have an aquarium membership already.

My family lives there.
Valued Contributor

YUCK!...I am inland from SF about 50 miles and its just to hot here today...We have a pool and its even to hot for that..My grandaughter swam 1 hr and i lasted a 1/2 hr.A client in livermore just called and asked me to come on mon instead of fri because of the heat.They dont have air so you can imagine how that must be.

What area in NC is it gonna be 114?

Honored Contributor

chickenbutt wrote: "My dream would be to move back and live in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area. That will never happen, but I would be so content there. I also love San Francisco so much, and have loved it all my life. Such a beautiful city."

moonchilde said:

I can do it for you :-) I am retiring to Prunedale (between Salinas and Gilroy) within the year. I LOVE Monterey and Pacific Grove. I'm so excited I can do all their local fairs and celebrations once I move, and enjoy good food and wine :-) I have an aquarium membership already.

My family lives there.

That's brave in my book!  Salinas and Gilroy can get too hot for me, which isn't saying much, lol.  I cannot take the heat.  I remember the last time we went to the Gilroy Garlic Festival, and had to walk a really long way from the parking area.  People were almost dropping like flies.

My daughter thinks the perfect place to live would be somewhere around or in between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay. 

Honored Contributor

MidNight said:

YUCK!...I am inland from SF about 50 miles and its just to hot here today...We have a pool and its even to hot for that..My grandaughter swam 1 hr and i lasted a 1/2 hr.A client in livermore just called and asked me to come on mon instead of fri because of the heat.They dont have air so you can imagine how that must be.

What area in NC is it gonna be 114?

ABC reported last night Redding was expected to get up to 114.  I don't know anyone in the city who has AC.  I can't think of any businesses that do, either.  I'll have to check, see how high it did get there today. 

Take care in your heat!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Prunedale (lol name) where I will be living, Noel, is nice and cool. They get ocean breezes and throughout the year lots of fog. About 10 miles north of Salinas and on the ocean side, not the inland side. Gets down into the 20s in winter. I know Gilroy can get VERY hot. Have never been to the garlic festival. I'm not a garlic person. But if they had an onion festival, I'd be there ;-)
Honored Contributor

moonchilde, that's good to know.  I don't think I've ever been to Prunedale.  As long as it's cool, it's good with me, lol.