Respected Contributor

Re: Driving home saw a brand new Dodge Charger.

My DH had possession of his Dad's 66 red Mustang from 1971-1978. He drove it back & forth to college, and for two years after we married. When we could afford to buy our own, we got a 78 Trans AM in dark brown (WITHOUT all the Trans Am decals all over the hood, etc., lol!) My DH loved that car, and I learned to drive in it. It had a pretty powerful engine--can't remember what it was, but I always said it idled at 40 mph! It was scary to me. We had that car for 11 years and put well over 200,000 miles on it. I think DH shed a few tears when he traded it in. He's always said that if he'd had a place to store it, he would've kept it.

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

" HOWEVER - The Charger I saw today was WHITE - a travesty to all muscle cars.  In my book, just my book, it's gotta be either red, bright canary yellow, or deep dark black.

(And, yes, I'm very opinionated and passionate about cars and their colors.  "

Here's your next ride, Rebecca...

Two different shades of red and black in the latest.  Smiley Happy

• 2015 Dodge Charger in Redline Red

@feline groovy

I'll take the first car in red, thank you, feline groovy.

~Rebecca

Anytime, Becc. ;-)

Woo!

You'll truly be stylin' in your new car with your new hair shade and new hair length!

~  Jaye

@feline groovy

You would not believe what happend to my hair color when I went back the second time for roots, etc.  She squirted something terribly red looking at the last second, after everything else was on my hair, worked it in, then let it process.  I came out a carrot top!  I sure as heck didn't ask for no carrot top!  What the heck?  I'm still trying to get over being angry.  When my mad is gone, I'm going to call her and have her fix it.

Becc

Esteemed Contributor

@twinny70 wrote:

DH & I had a 1971 Dodge Charger-- red with a black vinyl top.  It was our first new vehicle & my DH got up all night long to check on it as it was parked in our driveway.  We thought it was so cool.  Now we have a 2015 Subaru Forester.

@twinny70

Wow! That is one heck of a first new car!  I bet you two just loved it to death.  Of course it was cool!  Are you kidding?  Just about half of everyone I knew at the time would have given their eye teeth for one.

I bet you really like your Forester!

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint wrote:

My DH had possession of his Dad's 66 red Mustang from 1971-1978. He drove it back & forth to college, and for two years after we married. When we could afford to buy our own, we got a 78 Trans AM in dark brown (WITHOUT all the Trans Am decals all over the hood, etc., lol!) My DH loved that car, and I learned to drive in it. It had a pretty powerful engine--can't remember what it was, but I always said it idled at 40 mph! It was scary to me. We had that car for 11 years and put well over 200,000 miles on it. I think DH shed a few tears when he traded it in. He's always said that if he'd had a place to store it, he would've kept it.

@vermint

Trans Am - Way cool car.  That was one heck of a popular car in San Francisco with the younger set, as it could speed up steep hills like crazy and look cool doing it.  Can't tell you how many I saw over the years in SF. 

However, whenever you saw a teen or "just out of high school type" in a new Trans Am, you knew that person was selling drugs.  Those cars were always getting pulled over by the police. These days they purchase BMWs.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative My DH sure thought it was cool, lol! He loved driving by the school bus stops on his way to work in the morning and seeing the expressions on the boys' faces. Pure, unadulterated envy! Of course, he was only about 25 y/o himself at the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a fan of 'muscle' cars, but have to admit that the Challenger (not the Charger) is one hot looking car, if muscle cars are your thing. It's actually reminiscent of what these cars looked like when they were introduced. Incidentally, I like white cars...

Woman Wink

As for me, I'll stick with my Honda...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't know what a muscle car was.  My husband received a new Firebird when he graduated from high school in 1968.  I guess that's as close to a muscle car either of us got.

He has a red convertible.  When he purchased it, red was the only color he considered.

I like silver or white cars. There are many shades of both.

Super Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint

Trans Am - Way cool car.  That was one heck of a popular car in San Francisco with the younger set, as it could speed up steep hills like crazy and look cool doing it.  Can't tell you how many I saw over the years in SF. 

However, whenever you saw a teen or "just out of high school type" in a new Trans Am, you knew that person was selling drugs.  Those cars were always getting pulled over by the police. These days they purchase BMWs.

Ha-ha @sfnative - El Camino Real or Great Highway?

Esteemed Contributor

@moto wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint

Ha-ha @sfnative - El Camino Real or Great Highway?

@moto

Ha-Ha  Back at ya!  Great Highway! 

Mission Street goes all the way out to the southern end of S.F. where it meetsthe city of Colma (cemetery city).  At that point it becomes El Camino Real, which is in San Mateo County.

Esteemed Contributor

sfnative, Yes, we loved our brand new red Dodge Charger. I wanted a purple one as there was a purple Challenger, but that was cheap looking so we settled for the red Charger. When we were about to get married (1970) neither of us had a car as we lived at home until our wedding day. DH's dad had a friend that worked at a local car dealership so he picked out a 1966 Ford Galaxy. I paid $950 for it as DH had been in college with no $$$. A year later I had a minor fender. Thus., the new Charger. Then with 2 young children we bought our first van in 1978. We had 3 large vans & 3 mini vans. Then we bought our Kia rondo Crossover 6 years ago because of mobility issues with myself. Loved it & traded for the 2015 Subaru. We are grandparents but still love our vehicles. We trade every 5-6 years. This one is so much fun with a moon roof, heated seats.