Valued Contributor

Re: Driving from Western NY to California Coast?

I have wanted to do this for a long time, so I do not think it is a crazy idea at all. I say go for it and if your husband does not want to go, take a friend with you.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Is this something you would ever consider doing?  It has been a life long (almost) dream of mine to go to the Redwood Forest.  There is no way I will every fly.  I just can't do it, so I was wondering how crazy it would be to drive cross country.  It could be a problem talking my husband into it, but it might be worth a try.

Has anyone else ever driven cross country?  Any thoughts?

My Mother drove us to Eastern Canada from California years ago, imagine that, I can't, but we did it.  

You will love the Redwoods.  I have traveled there many times since childhood, and I never get tired of it.  There are many Redwood State parks where one can walk through, and we did that in many parks, wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittywhipped wrote:

I would only do it if we had a luxury car, one that was roomy and had a smooth ride.  Reliable a/c is a must as well.  I can't believe that I drove an older car (more than 5 but less than 10 years old) from NV to Northern CA in the late 80's and sure enough it broke down....the alternator crapped out.  Fortunately, I was in a fairly large city at the time with options to choose from in getting it repaired though I didn't like it or the unexpected expense.  

Sue,

There's a lot to be said for what Kittywhipped said above in the bolded language.  As a child and teenager, we made 5 cross country trips starting in California.  Married, we've traveled western Europe 4 times via car.  I've always insisted on a large comfy car, as at one time, we had 4 consecutive Cadillacs and loved the ride and comfort.  Mostly the comfort.

When traveling the U.S., you'll more than likely find a day here and there where your daily mileage plan will exceed 600-800 miles.  Believe me, if you're in even some of what they call "mid-range" cars during a long day, your body will not recover over night.

Also, and so much fun, would suggest that if you don't have a wall on which you can tape a large map of the US, purchase an easel, glue a map of the US to a large piece of cardboard and place the mounted map on the easel.  Now you can live with the map, placing markers or dots where areas of interest pop up.

If you're retired, hooray!  You've a wonderful opportunity to plan the trip of a lifetime.  There's so much to see and experience across the US.  Make your first stop the AAA.  If not a member, sign up now, so you can take advantage of free travel books and maps.  They can also map out your trip for you.  This is especially helpful when the need arises to travel through a major city, which can be a challenge.  The AAA will customize a travel guide for you, which will lower your "fret level."

Again, can't recommend this highly enough.  Get out there and see who we are and what made us the country that we are.

Trusted Contributor

I live in northern Clifornia,just got back from a trip by car to oregon. Yes we took the coast route hgwy 1, beautiful,through the redwoods and drove through the redwood tree,love it. we stopped at many small towns along the way ,the trees are magnificent,we also visited many light houses and took the scenic loops to see covered bridges.Many things to see,the ocean is beautiful and has many treasures to enjoy,I also suggest get maps tourist books from A.A. or send away for them you can find lots of info on the computer, just look for coastal trips ,etc. We have done this trip many times and love it more each time ,we stayed in motels with advanced reservations,wouldn't want to pull a trailer it just takes longer and i think in the long run the motels are cheaper and more comfortable.enjoy tucka.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have driven across the country twice (once Washington DC to Spokane WA and once NYC to Denver). Next week I am embarking on a cross-country trip from Detroit to Seattle. 

This trip we have stocked up on books on tape and some good music, not to mention good company (my kids Smiley Tongue). We are going to stop and see Mt. Rushmore as well as Yellowstone Park.

I have always wanted to do a trip in a motor home. My college roommate girlfriend bought a motor home and took three or four months driving all over the country with her teenage daughter, just the two of them. My mom & dad drove all around the country for a couple of months as well in a camper-van. 

I say go for it! What adventures you will have! There are so many amazing things you can see in this country that you will never be able to see if you don't stop and take the time. I have not been through the Redwoods since I was in college, and they are definitely majestic! You won't be sorry, I promise.

Trusted Contributor

I would LOVE to do a cross country road trip!! We recently bought a new motorhome and are retired...perfect combination! ;-) Now I need to convince DH to do it! I hope you do it!
Trusted Contributor

Spoiler

Thanks again, everyone!  Am I crazy to think we can make this trip in 2 weeks.......out and back?

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:
Spoiler

Thanks again, everyone!  Am I crazy to think we can make this trip in 2 weeks.......out and back?

That is rushing it, if you wantto see other places on the way out and back, for me it would not pay if I could not see more sights along the way. We had 5 weeks and wish we had more time.