Super Contributor

Re: Driving from Western NY to California Coast?

I did it when I was 15 with my mother, brother and SIL ... my brother and SIL lived in CA and came home for a visit ... my mother and I drove back to CA with them and my mother and I returned home to PA by train .. I still remember the trip ... I loved it ...

I have said that I am going to do it again now that I am retired and can take my time and enjoy the trip .. I even have several friends who have said, "Don't leave home without me" ...

Go for it, Sue ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Trusted Contributor

So fun, as long as you have all the time in the world, can stop where you like when you like.  USA  is such a great country to drive through.

Honored Contributor

I've done coast to coast twice, once as a child with my family and once as an adult with my husband and son.  We did the northern route out and southern route back.  I enjoyed it far more as a child than I did as an adult.  We did plan our trip in advance and kept pretty much on schedule.

Respected Contributor

Have driven twice from NJ to California.  I like flying better.

Trusted Contributor

We drove from Saratoga Springs, NY to Alameda,CA in 1990 when my husband's duty station (Navy) was changed to Alameda, CA. It took us around 7 days, driving around 8 hours daily.

We had 2 young children with us, one a few months old & one around 3 years old.  We took 2 separate cars & had to stop every few hours because the motion of the car made me drowsy & I had a heck of a time staying awake & my 3 year old needed a potty break & a chance to run  around & stretch his little legs.

My husband loved the adventure, I hated it & would have preferred to fly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
We drove from Atlanta to Central California in January and will have to do it again in three weeks. It took three days and three hours
Esteemed Contributor

If I was younger I might consider it.  I like to fly and have a room with a shower and a bed at the end of my flight.  Driving isn't appealing to me at this time. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

DH's family did that drive several times a year when he was growing up (pre-AC, they drove thru the night on the desert portion ).  My family did the same when I was 11 but we took our time.  As a family we did it with our camper and most recently DH and I drove roundtrip CA to FL using hotels and limiting ourselves to 350 miles per day.  We like a particular hotel chain so we mostly stayed in those properties.  It was a very leisurely trip that took 10 weeks (as we added a back to back cruise to Europe and a month in England,France,Germany and Austria via plane train and auto.  On the way back we did Disney World and NASA among many other stops.  Can you tell we love to travel?

Honored Contributor

Western NY is so pretty this time of year, especially the Finger Lakes and state parks around Ithaca.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would only do it if we had a luxury car, one that was roomy and had a smooth ride.  Reliable a/c is a must as well.  I can't believe that I drove an older car (more than 5 but less than 10 years old) from NV to Northern CA in the late 80's and sure enough it broke down....the alternator crapped out.  Fortunately, I was in a fairly large city at the time with options to choose from in getting it repaired though I didn't like it or the unexpected expense.