Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever taken one of these driving courses online?I recently finished one so I could save money on my auto insurance. If you take a class it's suppose to be 6 hours and I was told taking it online is also 6 hours. I'm not a slow reader but there is no way you complete the course in 6 hours! It took me at least 10-12 hours! There are 8 units and each unit has maybe 5 sections with 7-10 pages to it. They only give you a month to complete the course. I did it in a week to get it over with.I wanted to tear my hair out! Thankfully it's good for 3 years. The topper is I saved a big $200 for the year!

Respected Contributor

Congratulations!! That is a great savings that we could all use.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

I always have a safety course on my insurance. My local library hosts an AARP course which costs about $30 and takes 7 hours (6 plus a break).

Whatever I save is good - I have no way to earn $200 or even 50 cents! Maybe it buys me dinner out a few times, maybe it buys me a great winter coat, maybe it pays for a series of car washes. Whatever it pays, it's sort of like "free" money to me. And every time I take the course, I learn something new or am reminded of a bad driving habit I should try to avoid.

Honored Contributor

Not worth my time as what little it lowers mine ain't worth it. My driving record of 59 years, accident free, pretty much speaks for itself.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I've had to take an online driving class in the past due to a speeding ticket. (An online class was simply easier to fit into my lifestyle.) Maybe it depends on the company or "school" that you receive the material from, but I don't remember my course taking nearly as long as you've described. It didn't take any longer than the 6 hours that was advertised.

I remember that I had to sit through each module as it was being presented, and I could not skip ahead, even if I had already read through the material quickly and wanted to take the quizzes or practice questions. This was extremely irritating to me, as I am a fast reader and could have covered the material more quickly on my own.

Honored Contributor
Someone I know told me her daughter took the course and it also took her about 10 hours or so. Maybe the course has changed over the last couple of years.
Super Contributor
On 3/21/2015 jordan2 said: Someone I know told me her daughter took the course and it also took her about 10 hours or so. Maybe the course has changed over the last couple of years.

May I ask what state you are in? Maybe each state requires different material, and yours may be more intensive?

Honored Contributor
Colonel Meow, I live in New York. I would have been better off talking a class but thought taking it online was more convenient.At least I won't have to worry about it for 3 years!
Honored Contributor

I know when my husband and I did it for a discount on the insurance, it was pretty inexpensive, maybe $25 each and good for three years.

I don't remember how long it actually took, we had to be logged on for a certain number of hours but the log on hours were way more than what it actually took to get through the course. A lot of idle time spent trying to get the hours required.

Honored Contributor

They make you record your voice so after a certain amount of hours you have to call in to verify it is you taking the course, This is really dumb because they have no way of knowing if someone is taking it for you and your sitting nearby just to call in!