Valued Contributor

Re: Drinking from plastic water bottles

I used to use the plastic bottles over and over again.  I was told by a Chemist at work and a PHD not to do that because of the plastic leeching.

The chemist also said not to recap the bottle.

I did reuse because of the guilt I feel over the trash.  I had to get over that.

I now just buy Nestle bottles because it is the only water that does not have an after taste to me. 

I buy gallons of drinking water for the dogs.

I would not ever keep the bottles in my car to heat up , they probably get enough of that before I buy them.

My tap water is well water, it is disgusting and has so much salt in it to try to keep down the  iron it is ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

I use a prescription fluoride toothpaste every day.  It has cut my cavaties to 0.  I have teeth that have always been prone to decay.  It has saved me hundreds of dollars, and I still have all of my senses. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Sheryl Crow said her doctor told her drinking out of plastic water bottles is what caused her breast cancer......

It didn't, and numerous studies have disproved that theory.  She also says 1in 8 women will get breast cancer, but that's only true for those over 80.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I use a prescription fluoride toothpaste every day.  It has cut my cavaties to 0.  I have teeth that have always been prone to decay.  It has saved me hundreds of dollars, and I still have all of my senses. 

Plenty won't get Alzheimer's, but why take the risk?  It is a rather toxic chemical after all.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only time I buy bottled water is for my emergency water stash for that "just-in-case" moment if my tap water gets cut off or contaminated some how. It's never happened but I have a streak of survivalism in me so I like to keep at least a 3-day water supply for myself. If you do this just make sure you replace with new bottled water regularly because they do expire.

Honored Contributor

only drink filtered water. I have an older water filtration system that dupont put out years ago. stocked up on the filters so have a few years of filtered water.

I don't purchased bottle water unless I am out shopping that I will get me a bottle if I am thirsty. 

Honored Contributor

We drink well water and have a whole house purification system. The ultraviolet light that kills the germs in the water has to be replaced yearly and the whole house water filters are replaced every three months. We use the tap water for bathing and boiling food like pasta, rice and potatoes, but we use water that we run through a Brita to drink. The tap water doesn't have a bad taste though. 

Honored Contributor

Filtered NYC water - or really cold straight from the sink.
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Pellegrino in glass....I buy in bulk when on sale at Sam's Club or Costco.  I also do a lot of organic juicing and eat a lot of organic water rich produce so I'm always extra hydrated.  (This morning I'm getting ready to juice orange, grapefruit, lemon, and celery for breakfast....yums!)

I do use the plastic gallon size (come in twos at Sam's) for cooking water and final rinse on produce.

@phoenixbrd- same for me....Pellegrino and Voss

@Stray

almost forgot about VOSS......i have trouble finding it around here sometimes. would love it if sams club would carry it. i have also been buying hawaiian water and fred water.....but those are in plastic.

@sunshine45- when I was in Norway, that was the best tasting water I had ever had and from the tap....ice cold and so clear.  I was in Hawaii last year ....the name of the place escapes me but they made vodka, gin and water from beneath the sea...it was wonderful and cold.  I can't stand drinking from plastic; I can taste the plastic. 

Trusted Contributor

I do not drink water from the tap.  As long as I can remember, tap water always made me sick at my stomach. All through school, I avoided drinking fountains like the plague for that reason. I wanted to drink it, I just couldn't.

Fast forward several years and my brother-in-law got on the subject of how they purify city water. By the time he got done, it was clear as to why it made me sick. 

So, for me, I was thrilled when bottled water became available, even though I am aware some think chemicals from the plastic leeches out into the water. Between the two, I will take my chances on that as opposed to all of the chemicals they use to purify city water. 

As an aside, tying into @hoosieroriginal post about being dehydrated. About the time bottled water came out, I had a deep tissue massage done. She was a nurse and told me I was the most dehydrated person she had ever worked on. So much so, she told me if I didn't follow her instructions to the letter, drink so much water, ASAP, then soak in a tub filled with Epson salt, I would be a very sick person. 

I did as I was told, but I was VERY sore for a long while. @hoosieroriginalyou will be proud that I have drank water ever since!  Nestle tastes the best to me, but I also do Dasani and Fiji.

Sheryl Crow~~~I would want some documentation to back that theory up.