Super Contributor
How long to you have to have it before cats will use it? My fur babies won't go near it. I got it yesterday.
Super Contributor
Well they still won't go near it!
Super Contributor

Is it plugged in? .....the cats might be afraid of the noise from the motor.

Try leaving it filled with water but unplugged for a few days. Once you observe them drinking from it -- then plug it in. See if that works.

Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
I should have thought of that! I guess I have no common sense! I just unplugged it!
Super Contributor
Good luck with this. I was lucky in that my cats like to play in water so they took to it right away. I now fill this several times daily and they go through 1 to 2 gallons daily. I have 5 cats and they drink quite a bit more now than before I had this.
Valued Contributor
On 9/3/2014 lilypadfrog said: Good luck with this. I was lucky in that my cats like to play in water so they took to it right away. I now fill this several times daily and they go through 1 to 2 gallons daily. I have 5 cats and they drink quite a bit more now than before I had this.

They always say that about these fountains, but I wasn't sure it was true. I've been thinking of getting one and maybe it is time to do so. Thanks for the info and thanks Pinkroses for asking the question you did. 6 of my 7 (yes 7, even I am appalled, but they are a combination of rescues and inheritances) are former ferals and likely will have a problem initially with a fountain so it is a good idea for it to start out silent then eventually plug it in.Smile

Valued Contributor

My two definitely drink more from a fountain than a bowl.