Honored Contributor

Re: Draft RA Email to BOSS....Comments welcome

Personally, I'd have my HR rep deal with my boss under these circumstances.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA I agree. The email was way too long and detailed and she just needs to go through HR and take care of it. This is a simple process which she has already been approved for, so there should be no negotiating and making deals. She needs to get this in place so it is not manager dependent.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your disability has been approved by your HR group, why do you need to obtain further approval from your supervisor? And why is he questioning what has already been approved? Seems like he has the problem - not you. I agree with the other comments here that you have gone into way too much detail that is not necessary. Personally, I wouldn't offer any of this information to your supervisor and I wouldn't send anything to him in writing.

If he has problems with what you are able to do during your disability and has specifically told you that, then I would document those conversations and let HR handle them. That's what they are there for since they have already approved your disability. It's up to your supervisor to work with you according to their ruling. It's on him to comply - it's not up to you to defend your health situation nor explain it to him.

Forget about the written and verbal confronations about what he said....document what was said for your own purpose and let HR sort it out. If you feel that's it's necessary to send him your response, then definitely copy your HR representative in your response.

Good luck to you!

Trusted Contributor

THANK YOU EVERYONE..

I am so glad that I sent you a draft to read.  I was thinking this is too long but I wanted to make a point that really does not need to be made.

I will delete at least half and I think I will eliminate all the YOU SAID....

Two heads, really 20 heads are better than one!!!

I'm so glad I am a QVC poster because I thought I was explaining but I was rambling.

I will come back on Tuesday and send an update of his response.  I do plan to send an email though beause he can't just cancel my approved RA request.

He has to follow the agency directive even if my request is denied meaning he does not accept the doctor's recommendations.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

It comes across as hostile. Shouldn’t your HR department be drafting your RA?
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Edit out detailed medical information and the questions about his comments.  Just let him know you will be follow what was approved by RA.

Honored Contributor

I think the email will close the door to getting along better with your boss.  If the email is the route you want to go, send it.  It covers all aspects of the topic.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Edit out detailed medical information and the questions about his comments.  Just let him know you will be follow what was approved by RA.

I agree. It's much too long, and needs to be more on point.

There's no need for medical information.  It adds a personal component that's not necessary, and it alters the tone you want to convey.  This should be short, and you should say as little as possible.  Don't open to the door to any further issues or complications.  And if you ramble too much, he'll have trouble figuring out what you're trying to say.  Keep it very brief so your main point is crystal clear.

I like to start and close letters such as these in a cordial manner, with my concerns (or criticisms or whatever) in the middle.  

(I also agree with those who have said this is an HR issue.  Maybe there's no HR Dept?  If there is, then they're the ones who should be taking care of this.  When I went on FMLA a few years ago, everything was done thru HR.  My boss at the time was completely uninvolved, and I believe that's the way it's supposed to be.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several *red* flags.....

This post....First paragraph....2nd sentence....

"I have tried to be pleasant as I have to continue to work with him everyday until I find another job.

The original thread you started, you mentioned in a *sidenote* about another lady in the office "who they LIKE and they are allowing her to telework more days".

Do you feel *they* don't like you?

How much harder would it be for you to schedule your PT on your days you don't have to commute to work, since that's one of the issues your doctor signed off for you (commuting)?  

It was inappropriate for the boss to mention to you--employees abusing work at home privileges, perhaps it was just a word of caution?  (It can and does happen, unfortunately.)

Will be interested to see how this all turns out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  I would not send that email.  I have been a union steward as well as a supervisor so I see it from all sides as not a good move.  As others stated it comes across as hostile and you suspecting him of something and will not help you in the future if you continue to work there.  I would send him a short email saying you will continue with HR's plan and then contact HR for further instructions on implementation.   They might say you need to speak with your supervisor and at that point I would request a meeting with HR and explain that you were unsure of implementation after speaking with him and need clarification.   

Tread carefully because statistically many  "reasonable " accommodations requests are not really necessary and are just employees wanting special privileges and many doctors will fill out the forms the way the patient requests.  Then management can require further documentation if they feel you are creating issues and that email could start that especially if the supervisor is well liked by management.  They could require you to provide documentation that there is no therapy you could attend after work hours, etc.