Trusted Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

My problem with Dr. Phil as many of his shows are helpful as I know I appreciated watching many of them when I was sorting out issues with my family after my mom passed but he also has a tendency to dumpster dive into areas especially during Sweeps Week that ruins whatever credibility he may have during the rest of the year.

I think of him as an "ambulance chaser." He'll follow a celebrity to the hospital for ratings.

Agree.  And I love it...  "dumpster dive."   HAHAHA    Perfect. 

Trusted Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@SarahW wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I can remember my first thread on the forum. I made the mistake of not familiarizing myself with the board. I got pounced on so badly I never replied once and didn't think I would ever be back.

I just hate it when the resident lynch mob circles for blood on some hapless "NEWBIE."   Oh, the nerve of someone to be NEW.  

Well, I can tell you, @SarahW, it must have been a really bad thread b/c not one person supported me.

I believe it.   I have been participating in the Q forums for over 20 years; it was originally called "Shop Talk" in 1995 or 1996.   I have to take breaks from here because of the hateful stuff I see.  

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

I'm truly sorry for offending anyone here. My thread was just an honest comment. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I did say that I'm sure his donation will help many. Never for a minute did I think I would cause such an uproar. I've always enjoyed reading the threads on here. I've been on the board for many years, but only posted once in awhile. I guess I will have to think long and hard about posting an opinion in the future.

I do appreciate all of the kind posts, and yes, I appreciate the replies from those that felt I was out of line. I've learned a lot.

Oh @grandma petes please keep posting as you said/did nothing wrong.  Lots of opinions/viewpoints on a given day, please don't take it personally as most folks don't mean it the way it may be translated by someone else  . . . Smiley Happy

Thanks so much mtc. Your kind words made my day. 😊

@grandma petes so very glad to hear that my friend, you  come back here whenever you want as we will be more than glad to see you! Smiley Happy

eta:  This will make you laugh . . . I once got ambushed on of all things a thread about Aldi's . . . it got ugly so fast and so many people were saying such rude things my jaw actually dropped . . . I'm still here and I still shop at Aldi's!

I can remember my first thread on the forum. I made the mistake of not familiarizing myself with the board. I got pounced on so badly I never replied once and didn't think I would ever be back.

I started an off-the-wall thread one night when I was new that went bad quickly.  I *suggested* that all posters with a long nic should change to one with no more than two syllables so the nics would be easier to type.  Thud!  I still remember two posters fondly that tried to rescue me from my bad attempt at being humorous 😜😂

@febe1 @grandma petes

LOL - now that's funny, @tansy. And here you were, just trying to help!!! Woman Frustrated

@febe1 @grandma petes @tansy

Ooooh no, do not touch the third rail of mentioning the nics . . . never ends well . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe Thanks a lot mtc. You made me smile. I never in a million years thought it would blow up like it did. I love reading all the threads here. So many of you great ladies have such fun conversations. Thanks again for your kindness.😊

Honored Contributor

Tax Deductible............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

At least he donated.  And he didn't donate to questionable charities run by his crazy pals. 

Honored Contributor

I don't dislike Dr. Phil but he is not one of my favorites for reasons I'll keep to myself.  

I did want to mention that some people give to several different charities or causes and we don't know how many other things he gives to, whether it be with his time or with his money.

I do agree with the posters who say it is better not to mention the amount.

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes  You are not alone.  I had the same natural human reaction you did.  Heart

I'll only speak for myself but, if you are a regular watcher, the last half of many of his shows are about selling his book, books his son's company publishes, his wife's skincare, makeup line, etc...  or asking for donations to his and his wife's personal charities.    

I felt that for someone who is consistently asking us to reach into our wallets several times a week to benefit his family's bank accounts, I think on its face, it did come across as a bit of a low figure although I am sure the Red Cross appreciated every penny.  

When someone has such grandiosity about them in collecting the money, it did seem a bit out of character that his grandiosity in giving back the money didn't seem to be there.        

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@grandma petes  You are not alone.  I had the same natural human reaction you did.  Heart

I'll only speak for myself but, if you are a regular watcher, the last half of many of his shows are about selling his book, books his son's company publishes, his wife's skincare, makeup line, etc...  or asking for donations to his and his wife's personal charities.    

I felt that for someone who is consistently asking us to reach into our wallets several times a week to benefit his family's bank accounts, I think on its face, it did come across as a bit of a low figure although I am sure the Red Cross appreciated every penny.  

When someone has such grandiosity about them in collecting the money, it did seem a bit out of character that his grandiosity in giving back the money didn't seem to be there.        

Don't forget the "Doctor on Demand" he and his son operate.

Honored Contributor

I don't like people questioning another persons financial business.

It's like sitting in church they're passing the collection plate and people would open up the other guy's check to see what they're giving and then making their own judgement based on knowing that person if the amount was up to what THEY think they should be donating.

Nothing is private any more.  I was raised to MYOB.