Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

And the president of HEB has pledged $5M:

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/905469735235670016

@momtochloe  I didn't open the link but the $5 million comes from Butt himself.

eta:  For those who do not know-that is the founder and CEO's real name so no reporting as inappropriate, please.

Yep @Cakers3 that is the gentlemen that donated all that money but my favorite will always be Mattress Mack . . . such generosity in a time of need.  God bless those that have donated and will continue to do so as it will take a lot of time to put Texas back together again but his immediate and unflinching generosity will stay with me forever . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

I'm truly sorry for offending anyone here. My thread was just an honest comment. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I did say that I'm sure his donation will help many. Never for a minute did I think I would cause such an uproar. I've always enjoyed reading the threads on here. I've been on the board for many years, but only posted once in awhile. I guess I will have to think long and hard about posting an opinion in the future.

I do appreciate all of the kind posts, and yes, I appreciate the replies from those that felt I was out of line. I've learned a lot.

Oh @grandma petes please keep posting as you said/did nothing wrong.  Lots of opinions/viewpoints on a given day, please don't take it personally as most folks don't mean it the way it may be translated by someone else  . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I cannot stand Dr. Phil and his phony persona .  I can't believe his show comes up with all these bazaar stories.  He could probably afford a million.  I wish his show was cancelled.  I never watch only see while I am surfing through channels.  I am really disgusted with doctors turning to be hosts of a TV program too.  All they want is the money.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I cannot stand Dr. Phil and his phony persona .  I can't believe his show comes up with all these bazaar stories.  He could probably afford a million.  I wish his show was cancelled.  I never watch only see while I am surfing through channels.  I am really disgusted with doctors turning to be hosts of a TV program too.  All they want is the money.  Cat Tongue

So doctors on television should work or appear for free?

Honored Contributor

I have never quite forgiven Oprah for unleashing Dr. Phil on us😜

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Nobody is forced to watch the show.  He was good enough to serve as a consultant during her trial, so all is well imo.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Nobody is forced to watch the show.  He was good enough to serve as a consultant during her trial, so all is well imo.

I don't watch the show.  It looks like there actually is a celebrity that you do like though. 

Honored Contributor

Dr. Phil is definitely not one of my favorites, yet it's fine with me whatever he can give. The problem seems to be this announcing of one's amount.  It could be with the purest motives, to encourage others to open their purses.  But it seems to subject the giver to  speculation and judgment.

The best policy I think is the old advice-- "Do good in secret".

Respected Contributor

grandmapetes, don't be hard on yourself.  Had he claimed to donate more, other people would have questioned that, too.  The important thing, which you mentioned, is that help gets to the people.

I don't know why people feel compelled to announce amounts. Maybe people in high places fear the public will make wrong assumptions, maybe it was for applause or as encouragement, maybe he's made some bad investments.  

"I gave" seems more than sufficient especially because we live in such a critical society.  Don't we all wish we had an extra $25K to give.  How many of us would announce it?  Probably very few but sitting in front of an audience on TV?  Maybe more would be compelled . . .  I dunno -- it's all quite strange.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad people are giving.  I know that some people are not giving a lot relative to what they make, but when people criticize them for not giving enough, it only makes the giver reluctant to give again in the future.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org