Respected Contributor
On 2/7/2015 Free2be said:
On 2/7/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 2/7/2015 Smaug said:
On 2/7/2015 terrier3 said:
On 2/6/2015 mochachino said:
On 2/6/2015 terrier3 said:

Dr Phil is not licensed in any state. He was licensed in TX. He has not held a professional license since 2006. He has a PhD in psychology but cannot practice psychology. Under CA law he cannot call himself a psychologist because he does not hold a license (just like attorneys, physicians, veterinarians, etc). He can claim he has experience in the field and/or is an expert in the field.

After the incident with Britney Spears (he was severely chastised by the public and other medical professionals for behaving inappropriately when he entered the hospital Spears was admitted to then proceeded to her room uninvited by Spears then publicly speaking about her after as if he were a licensed psychologist) he half apologized and tried to backpedal in a very lengthy statement to his critics by saying he was eligible to be licensed in CA and he spoke to Spears only as a friend and that was okay.

The title "Dr." does not infer ethical, honorable, having common sense and/or knowledge outside of his/her field. It also does not mean licensed.

Like terrier said Dr Phil cannot provide any form of counseling or psychological assistance or professional evaluation. If you watch his show you will notice he always uses the phrases, "In my opinion..." and "As someone with experience...". He can only bring people on his show and make it entertaining because he is not licensed.

Well said..

He is there for ratings and entertainment and I sometimes shudder how people air all their dirty laundry on his shows. He attempts to "help" them but it appears that often times his line of questioning has more to do with getting Ohh's and Ahh's from the audience for effect.

As long as when you watch you understand that this man is a television talk show host and his advice isn't necessarily what a board certified psychiatrist would give someone as sick as some of his guests are. A lot of damage can be done when someone sets themselves up as a "Doctor" without the license.

In fairness, just because a professional allows a license to expire in one state and remains unable to practice in another state due to not being licensed in that state has nothing to do with their professionalism.

I doubt Dr. Phil plans on returning to Texas to practice. He obviously has no intention of practicing outside of his television program in California in the foreseeable future, nor is he required to be licensed to have his show. And he has earned the title of Doctor for which he is both a clinical and a forensic psychologist.

Any therapist moving from one state to another, in most states, is required to be licensed within the new state. There are requirements for X hours of supervision and testing. It ought to be changed so there is more uniformity amongst states because it sometimes creates unnecessary difficulties when the person is extremely qualified to practice anywhere. Unless there is a history of poor job performance or claiming abilities unethically, not being licensed is usually only a matter of learning state requirements and following through with their expectations, paying fees, and red tape.

It's possible to be licensed for many years, move, then fail the test in the new state which can be retaken after a period of time and supervision.

Dissing Dr. Phil because he isn't licensed in CA is humorous.

Would you go to an unlicensed professional?

ETA and you must have missed my prior post re. disciplinary action taken against him in TX. Sara Morrison accused him of misconduct and acting inappropriately while she was a 19 year old intern. She was a former patient he hired to work in his lab. The woman alleged that Dr Phil touched her inappropriately and had an inappropriate relationship with her and she filed a complaint with the TX State Board. You can read the conclusion of the Board's findings in the link I provided. BTW he was married to Robin when this happened.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Valued Contributor
On 2/7/2015 sophiamarie said:

If the two succeed in conquering their addictions and are able to live rational and healthy lives, will in be because of Dr. Phil or in spite of Dr. Phil? Does it matter?

And isn't the current reality about ratings for the show? People are obviously talking about it, maybe most will tune in again.

These two people will retain what wisdom he gave them and/or reject what they refuse to change about themselves. It's all on them. They obviously weren't forced to be on the show.

ITA - Dr. Phil is just the catalyst. He offers help that most people cannot afford and for however long it takes. I can't fault him for that. Showman or not, he keeps his promise and does the best he can.

As for "exploiting these people" - nobody is exploited unless they want to be. THEY are the ones who contact the show. I thought the mother of the girl said she wrote the show 3 times and another guest said she had been trying for years to get on the show. They want the help and will take whatever it takes to get it.

So, what do some of you think of "Judge Judy". Is she exploiting people too??? She calls them morons, etc...... P.S. I never miss a day of JJ either.

I agree with what you posted. If people write the show, some more than once, obviously, they are wanting his help. I've seen some of the guests get up and walk out when they don't hear what they want to hear, but nine times out of ten, after cooling off backstage, they re-enter again. I don't see where anyone is making them stay on stage.

I've also heard Dr. Phil tell the guest that if they want to leave the stage, they are free to do so.

IMO, he has a lot of places and professional people that are willing to help those that need it and cannot afford it if they are willing to participate.

Respected Contributor
On 2/7/2015 HisElk said:

If the two succeed in conquering their addictions and are able to live rational and healthy lives, will in be because of Dr. Phil or in spite of Dr. Phil? Does it matter?

And isn't the current reality about ratings for the show? People are obviously talking about it, maybe most will tune in again.

These two people will retain what wisdom he gave them and/or reject what they refuse to change about themselves. It's all on them. They obviously weren't forced to be on the show.

ITA - Dr. Phil is just the catalyst. He offers help that most people cannot afford and for however long it takes. I can't fault him for that. Showman or not, he keeps his promise and does the best he can.

As for "exploiting these people" - nobody is exploited unless they want to be. THEY are the ones who contact the show. I thought the mother of the girl said she wrote the show 3 times and another guest said she had been trying for years to get on the show. They want the help and will take whatever it takes to get it.

So, what do some of you think of "Judge Judy". Is she exploiting people too??? She calls them morons, etc...... P.S. I never miss a day of JJ either.

I agree with what you posted. If people write the show, some more than once, obviously, they are wanting his help. I've seen some of the guests get up and walk out when they don't hear what they want to hear, but nine times out of ten, after cooling off backstage, they re-enter again. I don't see where anyone is making them stay on stage.

I've also heard Dr. Phil tell the guest that if they want to leave the stage, they are free to do so.

IMO, he has a lot of places and professional people that are willing to help those that need it and cannot afford it if they are willing to participate.

Trusted Contributor

most reality shows could be accused of exploiting people, think of the shows about the morbidly obese people, little people, Dr Drew, etc. However, when it comes right down to it, the people who go on these shows are not forced to, they have free will, I assume some of them do it for the money, some for the fame, whatever. You can only be exploited if you are doing something either against your will or perhaps not understanding it, i.e. like a child whose parents put them on TV. Those kids are exploited IMO.

Whether you like Dr Phil or not, I think he does some good with these people who might otherwise never seek counseling due to money factors or just don't know where to turn.

I will say I did not like his interviewing Michelle Knight so quickly after she escaped the kidnapping house, BUT, he did give her a lot of money to help her restart her life. A LOT of money. So I guess they both won.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor
On 2/7/2015 Smaug said:

Would you go to an unlicensed professional?

ETA and you must have missed my prior post re. disciplinary action taken against him in TX. Sara Morrison accused him of misconduct and acting inappropriately while she was a 19 year old intern. She was a former patient he hired to work in his lab. The woman alleged that Dr Phil touched her inappropriately and had an inappropriate relationship with her and she filed a complaint with the TX State Board. You can read the conclusion of the Board's findings in the link I provided. BTW he was married to Robin when this happened.

ITA.

It's easy to get your license renewed when you move from state to state...or be licensed in several states.

Dr. Phil has gone ""Hollywood"" and nothing he does on TV resembles counseling. At all.

He is now an entertainer.

Plus I think a lot of people on his show are ""ringers"" or wanna be actors - like Jerry Springer.

Super Contributor

I may be in the minority but I never miss a show

Respected Contributor
On 2/7/2015 mochachino said:

most reality shows could be accused of exploiting people, think of the shows about the morbidly obese people, little people, Dr Drew, etc. However, when it comes right down to it, the people who go on these shows are not forced to, they have free will, I assume some of them do it for the money, some for the fame, whatever. You can only be exploited if you are doing something either against your will or perhaps not understanding it, i.e. like a child whose parents put them on TV. Those kids are exploited IMO.

Whether you like Dr Phil or not, I think he does some good with these people who might otherwise never seek counseling due to money factors or just don't know where to turn.

I will say I did not like his interviewing Michelle Knight so quickly after she escaped the kidnapping house, BUT, he did give her a lot of money to help her restart her life. A LOT of money. So I guess they both won.

I guess my question is if they are doing it for the money how is that not exploiting them? We certainly don't condone women in need selling their bodies for money even if it is consensual. Although his guests aren't selling their bodies they are selling their stories for the benefit of the show.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor
On 2/7/2015 SweetWood Max said:

I may be in the minority but I never miss a show

I also watch a lot of his shows, but not the ones where he has the addicts holed up in a house, etc.... Not interested in that. I watch the ones that look interesting to me and IMO, he doesn't do any "counselling" on the show. He advises parents when they don't know which way to turn, and he knows how to handle troublesome kids. There's nothing wrong with that. Any intelligent parent would do the same. JMO

I really don't think he needs to update his license to say the things he says to his guests. It's just common sense, which these people don't seem to have. That's why they turn to him.

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/7/2015 Smaug said:

I guess my question is if they are doing it for the money how is that not exploiting them? We certainly don't condone women in need selling their bodies for money even if it is consensual. Although his guests aren't selling their bodies they are selling their stories for the benefit of the show.

Aside from paying for their fare, hotel and food, I don't know if the show pays the guests anything. Does anyone know???

Respected Contributor
On 2/7/2015 Smaug said:

I guess my question is if they are doing it for the money how is that <em>not</em> exploiting them? We certainly don't condone women in need selling their bodies for money even if it is consensual. Although his guests aren't selling their bodies they are selling their stories for the benefit of the show.

Aside from paying for their fare, hotel and food, I don't know if the show pays the guests anything. Does anyone know???

It's my understanding if he advises additional counseling, intervention or therapy the show pays and that includes a per diem. I've never been on so I'm not 100% positive.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____