Respected Contributor

From a fan of Dr. Phil's show I watch him almost every day and I thank him for what  ever amount he gave to help these people. No one was ever forced to sit and watch his program. I my self have a lot of respect for him.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

I'm truly sorry for offending anyone here. My thread was just an honest comment. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I did say that I'm sure his donation will help many. Never for a minute did I think I would cause such an uproar. I've always enjoyed reading the threads on here. I've been on the board for many years, but only posted once in awhile. I guess I will have to think long and hard about posting an opinion in the future.

I do appreciate all of the kind posts, and yes, I appreciate the replies from those that felt I was out of line. I've learned a lot.

Oh @grandma petes please keep posting as you said/did nothing wrong.  Lots of opinions/viewpoints on a given day, please don't take it personally as most folks don't mean it the way it may be translated by someone else  . . . Smiley Happy

Thanks so much mtc. Your kind words made my day. 😊

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

I'm truly sorry for offending anyone here. My thread was just an honest comment. I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I did say that I'm sure his donation will help many. Never for a minute did I think I would cause such an uproar. I've always enjoyed reading the threads on here. I've been on the board for many years, but only posted once in awhile. I guess I will have to think long and hard about posting an opinion in the future.

I do appreciate all of the kind posts, and yes, I appreciate the replies from those that felt I was out of line. I've learned a lot.

Oh @grandma petes please keep posting as you said/did nothing wrong.  Lots of opinions/viewpoints on a given day, please don't take it personally as most folks don't mean it the way it may be translated by someone else  . . . Smiley Happy

Thanks so much mtc. Your kind words made my day. 😊

@grandma petes so very glad to hear that my friend, you  come back here whenever you want as we will be more than glad to see you! Smiley Happy

eta:  This will make you laugh . . . I once got ambushed on of all things a thread about Aldi's . . . it got ugly so fast and so many people were saying such rude things my jaw actually dropped . . . I'm still here and I still shop at Aldi's!

Honored Contributor

My problem with Dr. Phil as many of his shows are helpful as I know I appreciated watching many of them when I was sorting out issues with my family after my mom passed but he also has a tendency to dumpster dive into areas especially during Sweeps Week that ruins whatever credibility he may have during the rest of the year.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

My problem with Dr. Phil as many of his shows are helpful as I know I appreciated watching many of them when I was sorting out issues with my family after my mom passed but he also has a tendency to dumpster dive into areas especially during Sweeps Week that ruins whatever credibility he may have during the rest of the year.

When he first started out, I liked him.  I still remember one show that featured a young married couple.  The woman was an incredible control freak and managed every single detail of her husband's life.  I saw a follow-up show once where she was a little better but not by much.  

@momtochloe

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

When he first started out, I liked him.  I still remember one show that featured a young married couple.  The woman was an incredible control freak and managed every single detail of her husband's life.  I saw a follow-up show once where she was a little better but not by much.  

@momtochloe

@tansy for me what I appreciated about watching some of his shows was that things were not going to change (like that control freak you mentioned) and I needed to make some major changes in my life in order to keep my head from exploding.  I think the nice part about his earlier shows was that folks like me could take some positive things that truly did help but again when he is sprinting for ratings he has a tendency to wade into waters that are just odious.  

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Wow, not for nothing but judging the amount of the donation is petty and ridiculous.  Unless are married to him or responsible for his books, it shouldn't matter how much is spent imo.

He's the one who put it out there...

@tansy

El Cheapo should have kept it to himself.

That's what I thought, @QueenDanceALot. He thought it was a good amount or he wouldn't have put it out there..

I'm really surprised.

Respected Contributor

Did Robin accompany him to work every day in his previous job like she does now?  I just find that so odd!

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I have never quite forgiven Oprah for unleashing Dr. Phil on us😜

Nobody is forced to watch the show.  He was good enough to serve as a consultant during her trial, so all is well imo.

I don't watch the show.  It looks like there actually is a celebrity that you do like though. 

I think his greed is overwhelming.

Esteemed Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I'm glad people are giving.  I know that some people are not giving a lot relative to what they make, but when people criticize them for not giving enough, it only makes the giver reluctant to give again in the future.

Usually people are private in their charitable donations. Celebrities give largely and tell as an incentive to others to give generously. Dr. Phil obviously thought it was generous to give the amount.