Super Contributor

Dr. Phil sues National Enquirer over spousal abuse articles

[ Edited ]

Unusual to see celebrities fight back against the tabloids. Not many have done it.

" "Dr. Phil" McGraw and The National Enquirer are lining up for a courtroom brawl after the television talk show host and his wife filed a $250 million lawsuit against the supermarket tabloid and its sister publications, charging that they falsely accused him of being an abusive husband and a hypocrite who doesn't practice what he preaches.

The lawsuit was filed last week in Palm Beach County, Florida, against the Enquirer, its owner American Media Inc. and sister publications, Star Magazine and the website Radar Online.

According to the suit, the publications damaged McGraw's reputation by falsely accusing the TV psychologist of physically and verbally abusing his wife, Robin.

The articles also said that Robin McGraw tolerated the abuse and that the couple are getting divorced.

The suit also says the Enquirer threatened to run a false story accusing McGraw of busting a man's head with a beer mug during a drunken melee while in college in the early 1970s.

The suit says such allegations unjustly harm the McGraws' reputation as outspoken opponents of spousal abuse.

It adds that Robin McGraw started a foundation aimed at helping battered spouses and that the couple's marriage is solid.

Forbes Magazine ranks him as the world's fourth-highest-paid celebrity, with annual earnings of $88 million.

"Dr. and Mrs. McGraw, after enduring years of the National Enquirer, Star and other American Media Inc. publications knowingly and recklessly printing outrageous lies about them, their marriage, their integrity and their character, have finally concluded that enough is enough and too much is too much," their attorney, Lin Wood, said in a statement."

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/dr-phil-sues-national-enquirer-over-spousal-abuse-160720309.html

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Phil sues National Enquirer over spousal abuse articles

I read that Wed. and died laughing. If big Phil ever laid a hand on tiny Robin she wouldn't be here to push her Aspire app. He adores her.

Besides, she's a strong woman she wouldn't take no ---- from him in first place.

I don't blame Phil I'd sue 'em too !

Honored Contributor

If National Enquirer prints it, it's not true.   Hope Phil wins big, making NE donate millions to the foundation.

Honored Contributor

Good for him.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

If National Enquirer prints it, it's not true. 

Might want to tap the brakes.  

Ever so often, once in a blue moon, they knock it out of the park.

Goggle 'stories National Enquirer got right.'

Gary Hart's affair, OJ's shoes....just to name a couple. 

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

If National Enquirer prints it, it's not true. 

Might want to tap the brakes.  

Ever so often, once in a blue moon, they knock it out of the park.

Goggle 'stories National Enquirer got right.'

Gary Hart's affair, OJ's shoes....just to name a couple. 

That's statistically low evidence though. Heard of "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes"?  Like you said once in a blue moon.  Not  a great track record overall. Because they get away with it.

Honored Contributor

Wasn't that the magazine Carol Burnett sued for false allegations?

Esteemed Contributor

Super Contributor

Wow. A 1994 article from the NYT. Wonder what their track record stats have been since then? Anyway I think they're a rag. I don't like Dr. Phil but I'm glad someone challenges them now and then. jmo.😛

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Wasn't that the magazine Carol Burnett sued for false allegations?

Yes I believe so.