Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 833
Registered: ‎02-15-2015
On 3/12/2015 Lion said:
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

Re: Dr. Phil

At least he doesn't have feuding families/couples/whatnot on his show threatening to beat each other up necessitating bodyguards to be at the ready. And he actually gets help for people in the end.

But airing any kind of personal tragedy is a form of exploitation. News outlets do it all the time.

I often wonder about the help he arranges. He very rarely does any follow ups on it, or gives updates about how the "help" turned out.

I have doubts about it.

The organizations do have representatives appear on the shows and they are actual organizations.

You would think that if it were all a sham that he would have been called out on it by now by someone. And with something concrete, not just doubt or suspicion.

And, of course, not everyone who is offered help is going to stick it out or be "fixed".

P.S. I did see a follow up on the guy who had won (or appeared on) Survivor, he was drinking himself to death, got sober at one of the recovery places Dr. Phil sends people to and then backslid. Not sure what's become of him.

Super Contributor
Posts: 366
Registered: ‎01-13-2015
On 3/12/2015 adelle38 said:
On 3/12/2015 Lion said:

Dr. Phil has turned into just another Jerry Springer type show.

I'm always amazed that people allow themselves to be used & humiliated by him on the show.

If he's not insulting his "guests" for ratings, he's hawking his or his wife's or his son's books, cosmetics, MD by phone business, etc.

The difference is Jerry Springer has always said his show is meant to be "entertainment". He doesn't claim to he helping people the way Dr. Phil does. I wonder what Oprah who gave Dr. Phil his start and who was a friend of WH thinks about this charlatan.

You hit the nail on the head; ITA.

I was thinking about yesterday's episode with Nick Gordon and it got me to thinking--if Nick wanted to sue Dr. Phil for invasion of privacy, he might have a case. He was obviously out of it and could claim, with some truth, that he wasn't capable of giving consent. And since he's legally an adult, his mother couldn't give consent for him.

In any case, I think it was an egregious invasion of privacy and despicable exploitation. Dr. Phil should be ashamed of himself but I suspect that all those dollar signs blind him to seeing that.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,829
Registered: ‎03-18-2010
On 3/12/2015 adelle38 said:
On 3/12/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

I feel bad that he isn't able to see her. I mean he was pretty much the only one who was a constant in her life. She didn't have much to do with Whitneys mom and family from what has been reported and not much to do with Bobby Brown. She LIVED with this man and he can't visit her in the hospital? How is that legal even?

I think that since he wasn't an actual "relative" the hospital and family can decide who visits. I have no idea what went on in the lives of these people but being a "constant" in someone's life doesn't mean he was good for her. An abuser, not saying he was, can be a "constant". The whole situation is just sad.

No being a constant doesn't mean he was good for her but it does mean that SHE chose him to be in her life. It reminds me of gay people who have been living together for decades yet the family keeps them from visiting. Now I am in no way comparing it to the gay fight for rights but if someone was actually living with someone I think they should have the right to visit them whether they were married or not. She had a household set up with him and spent much more time with him than her own blood family. I think that needs to count for something.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor
Posts: 38,103
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

The combination of drugs and alcohol can render someone incapable of showing normal emotion.

And that includes crying.

Then why was he fake crying, probably in hopes that Bobby Brown family would feel sorry and let him in to see his daughter. He seemed so concerned about the "world" seeing him as weak. It all looked very fake to me, interspersed with his laughing and stupid comments, although people who use stop growing mentally and emotionally.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,010
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

The organizations do have representatives appear on the shows and they are actual organizations.

You would think that if it were all a sham that he would have been called out on it by now by someone. And with something concrete, not just doubt or suspicion.

And, of course, not everyone who is offered help is going to stick it out or be "fixed".

P.S. I did see a follow up on the guy who had won (or appeared on) Survivor, he was drinking himself to death, got sober at one of the recovery places Dr. Phil sends people to and then backslid. Not sure what's become of him.

I'm just not convinced Dr. Phil really cares about helping his guests with treatment places as much as he uses it to make himself look good, especially after how badly he insults them during the show.

The treatment places get something out of it, also. They get some excellent national/international advertising. Phil always does a mini-commercial for them, including pictures of beautiful surroundings and high praise.

It's a win-win situation. Phil promotes himself as a good guy offering help and the treatment places get virtually free advertising.

**********
"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Super Contributor
Posts: 833
Registered: ‎02-15-2015
On 3/12/2015 Lion said:
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said: <p class="quote_author">The organizations do have representatives appear on the shows and they are actual organizations.

You would think that if it were all a sham that he would have been called out on it by now by someone. And with something concrete, not just doubt or suspicion.

And, of course, not everyone who is offered help is going to stick it out or be "fixed".

P.S. I did see a follow up on the guy who had won (or appeared on) Survivor, he was drinking himself to death, got sober at one of the recovery places Dr. Phil sends people to and then backslid. Not sure what's become of him.

I'm just not convinced Dr. Phil really cares about helping his guests with treatment places as much as he uses it to make himself look good, especially after how badly he insults them during the show.

The treatment places get something out of it, also. They get some excellent national/international advertising. Phil always does a mini-commercial for them, including pictures of beautiful surroundings and high praise.

It's a win-win situation. Phil promotes himself as a good guy offering help and the treatment places get virtually free advertising.

And perhaps a good percentage of the show guests actually benefit.

P.S. I have no problem with either Dr. Phil or the treatment facilities benefiting if they do indeed help some people.

Super Contributor
Posts: 833
Registered: ‎02-15-2015
On 3/12/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

The combination of drugs and alcohol can render someone incapable of showing normal emotion.

And that includes crying.

Then why was he fake crying, probably in hopes that Bobby Brown family would feel sorry and let him in to see his daughter. He seemed so concerned about the "world" seeing him as weak. It all looked very fake to me, interspersed with his laughing and stupid comments, although people who use stop growing mentally and emotionally.

I didn't see fakeness.

I saw a guy under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:
On 3/12/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

The combination of drugs and alcohol can render someone incapable of showing normal emotion.

And that includes crying.

Then why was he fake crying, probably in hopes that Bobby Brown family would feel sorry and let him in to see his daughter. He seemed so concerned about the "world" seeing him as weak. It all looked very fake to me, interspersed with his laughing and stupid comments, although people who use stop growing mentally and emotionally.

I didn't see fakeness.

I saw a guy under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Me too.

It's quite obvious that many here have been lucky enough to not have witnessed it in person.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor
Posts: 833
Registered: ‎02-15-2015
On 3/12/2015 Lotus~ said:
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:
On 3/12/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 3/12/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

The combination of drugs and alcohol can render someone incapable of showing normal emotion.

And that includes crying.

Then why was he fake crying, probably in hopes that Bobby Brown family would feel sorry and let him in to see his daughter. He seemed so concerned about the "world" seeing him as weak. It all looked very fake to me, interspersed with his laughing and stupid comments, although people who use stop growing mentally and emotionally.

I didn't see fakeness.

I saw a guy under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Me too.

It's quite obvious that many here have been lucky enough to not have witnessed it in person.

Yes, I agree Lotus.

Contributor
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎12-30-2014
I took no pity on him, at all! There is no way I would allow him near my daughter either! Seems like a nut, a real crackpot...someone who can snap in a instant...makes him scary & dangerous. I thought part if it seemed on his part, staged. Jerz