Honored Contributor

Re: Dr Oz today-Good reason to wash before wearing!

I do ... not strictly for sanitary reaons, but mainly to remove the sizing from the fabric.  

Small things like tops and underwear - I rinse in the bathroom sink.  You'd be surprised how dirty the water gets.  Not sure if it's excess dye or real dirt ... even from poly fabrics!

Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ

When I was young my mother worked as a stitcher in a factory so I would be there sometimes waiting for her to finish after getting out of school.  Granted it was in the U.S., but certainly not the cleanest place because it was in an old factory building filled with lint, dust, material particles, rodents, open windows in summer...it simply cannot be avoided.  And being an old building with huge piles of materials, threads, equipment, etc. she always said you must wash everything you buy.  Cannot even imagine how bad conditions must me overseas where there is no control or oversight in manufacturing plants or the environment for the workers.

Respected Contributor

I thought underwear was not returnable by law, I think this is true in NYC.

Respected Contributor

I wash everything before using. Clothing, towels, bedding. (everything) Always try to be on the safe side . Pus I don't like how some new items smell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i saw the show too. i always wash everything before wearing or using, like sheets, blankets, everything. for these reasons as well as chemicals!

one thing that makes me wonder is trying on clothes in a store or trying on when you get things home? i do this and now it seems a little gross. but you have to try on and cant wash things first!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I purchased new sheets (this was about 48 yrs ago) for my new bed. I was so tired from working, I just put them on the bed, and fell asleep. I woke up itching badly from the sheet sizing. the I thought i had learned my lesson.  Many years later  I did not wash a new pair of jeans before wearing them. I had a doctor appointment, I didn't wash the jeans. 

My legs turned a faded blue. the doctor was concerned about why I was turning blue, it dawned on me i didn't wash the jeans, she laughed about how I got my blueness. '

ever since then I wash anything and everything.

underware I wash immediately upon getting home from purchasing. Bras same way, they get washed.