Honored Contributor

Re: Dr Oz today-Good reason to wash before wearing!

I buy jockey that come sealed in a plastic bag, but I wash everything before wearing.

Respected Contributor

I saw the show.  I always clean anything I buy before I wear it.  I even clean my bedspreads or quilts before putting on my bed.  I have even dry cleaned my Irish sweaters before I wear them.  My mother taught me to do that and I taught my children the same. No one knows where those clothes have been or who touched them.  I know I sound like a freak but just think about it.   

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Ick, thats gross.

Reminds me of a lady telling me her friend got an std from layng in a tanning bed. I have no idea if this is true or not, but she swore it was.

Well that gives " she laid on a tanning bed" a whole new meaning!   😁

Honored Contributor

I wash everything before I wear it...especially underwear! I also don’t go to nail salons anymore after my best friend got a terrible infection on her foot that went all the way up the back of her leg...
I have seen so many posts about QVC sending used clothing to customers....another reason to be mindful of the origin of what you buy if it comes in contact with your body.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I definitely wash all underwear before wearing and usually all clothing.  I definitely did all clothing when I used to buy from B & M stores.  I always hated trying on jeans at B & M stores due to others having tried them on.  Even with underwear on there will be disgusting things on them.  Sometimes I don't when I order online and the clothing is sealed and obviously never even tried on.

Honored Contributor

I wash what can be laundered. Now ,I am wondering if you should dry clean things before using?I haven't ,and wonder about how clean the things were?

Respected Contributor

Makes me think of some of the Q returns that get shipped out even sent as new not As Is? Tissues in pockets, stale perfume odors. Posters have shared experiences.

I have had some fabrics with a terrible chemical odor, especially denim. It is that or the dye used? I would imagine a lot of dirt , insects and dust in manufacturing alone in many places while sewn.

Honored Contributor

I wash everything before i wear it.  You never know what was on people's hands/fingers.  It's like not washing your hands when you leave a public restroom -- it's not just if you got anything on your hands, it's the fact that other people did and then touched everything you touch.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always wash everything before wearing.  Most clothing is made overseas in dirty sweatshop conditions and exposed to many contaminents and other things such as rodent & insect droppings & fumigation both in storage as raw materials before manufacturing, during, & after manufacturing.  And even in storage after manufacturing & during shipping they could be exposed to same contamination & fumigation processes for up to a year before items reach final destination for sale.  Especially items such as underwear, socks, sheets, towels, etc. that are not fashion sensitive.  I even wash or dry clean new coats & other outerwear before wearing to remove contaminents, rodent/insect residue, & fumigation traces.

Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

Always wash everything before wearing.  Most clothing is made overseas in dirty sweatshop conditions and exposed to many contaminents and other things such as rodent & insect droppings & fumigation both in storage as raw materials before manufacturing, during, & after manufacturing.  And even in storage after manufacturing & during shipping they could be exposed to same contamination & fumigation processes for up to a year before items reach final destination for sale.  Especially items such as underwear, socks, etc. that are not fashion sensitive.  I even wash or dry clean new coats & other outerwear before wearing to remove contaminents, rodent/insect residue, & fumigation traces.

@Scorpio1971.  I agree with this 100%. I wash all clothes, bedding, etc. that I buy for all the reasons you mention.