Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

So many things to admire.  The absolute courage of the man!  The gentle unswerving determination.  As a Christian I respect his faith and his pro-life world view.  One of America's greatest leaders, with vision and poetry in his soul and immortal words.

Honored Contributor

His father was just an exemplary human being. I can recall when his wife was killed by some evil plot( i can't recall what happened right now)  He was asked if he hated the person or people involved

He said I don't hate anyone. We had a homily about him ,at mass, and he was given as a Christian example to emulate

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

His father was just an exemplary human being. I can recall when his wife was killed by some evil plot( i can't recall what happened right now)  He was asked if he hated the person or people involved

He said I don't hate anyone. We had a homily about him ,at mass, and he was given as a Christian example to emulate

His father’s reaction makes me think of the hymn, It Is Well With My Soul.  I don’t know if you know that one, but it was written by a man who had just lost his wife and daughter, in a ship wreck, I believe it was.

@cherry

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that I have taken the man for granted for far too long. He was just always a remarkably courageous trailblazer. He never let the bullies who called him all the political and racial slurs  that they could come up with to impede his journey -- to say nothing of their egregious actions agains the man.

I don't take him for granted this year. In fact, thinking about his worldview and how much gave to this world, I tear up in remembrance but also frustration and utter disbelief at....

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

“What have we become

My sweetest friend?”

Hurt

Honored Contributor

One of my heroes. My Mom and I took a trip to Memphis in 2008. It was her life long dream to go to Graceland. 

We also went to several other places, including the National Civil Rights Museum-which includes the Lorraine Motel. Such a sobering experience.

Truly a great American.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

Truly a brilliant and honorable man who left world this much too soon. Let’s hope people are inspired to be the kind of person he was- 

Trusted Contributor

Yellow919, we all need to live our religiously based ideals( (if we are believers). There are wonderful high profile people that do so, and then, there are the hundreds of thousands, millions indeed, that demonstrate their faith in many ways: soup kitchens, homeless shelters, caring for the elderly or young children are but a few.  Personally, I want to be like Dr. King, but also the Nuns on the Bus who are engaged in some much as well as the everyday unsung people that provide care.  I'm a work in progress, however.

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

I remember that day he was assassinated as if it were yesterday.  My best friend and I were playing volleyball at the university when we heard the news. I couldn't stop crying.   Sadly, my dear friend died last month of Lewy Body dementia.  A very sad day, indeed.

I did the math in my head and I was 14 when he was killed. I have absolutely no memory of any of it. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

I remember that day he was assassinated as if it were yesterday.  My best friend and I were playing volleyball at the university when we heard the news. I couldn't stop crying.  @ID2 Sadly, my dear friend died last month of Lewy Body dementia.  A very sad day, indeed.

I did the math in my head and I was 14 when he was killed. I have absolutely no memory of any of it. 

@ID2

That's understandable at that age.  Usually the news replays a lot of the scenes every year.  It's probably on youtuble, also.