Honored Contributor

Nearly 50 years since his death, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s words resound as true as ever:

I have decided to stick with love.  Hate is too great a burden to bear.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

On what would have been his 89th Birthday, it is an honor to recognize the indisputable legacy of one of the most outstanding citizens of the 20th century, and of American history.  Someone who has profoundly influenced the life of my family, and the lives of millions of others.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Caaareful Shopper you are absolutely correct.  Dr. King's legacy goes beyond the "I have a dream" speech.  His writings are phenomenal, especially the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail."  How I wish the history of the continuing movement for equality was a part of the curriculum in schools at all levels. Were it know, perhaps we would not have to continuosly wage the same battles ove and over again.  How I wish "leaders" today would embrace his ideals.

Honored Contributor

I imagine him 'rolling over in his grave' at many aspects of the state of race relations existing in today's society.

Honored Contributor

http://p10cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_54272/Image/Article%20Pictures/mlk.jpg

Respected Contributor

Dr. King changed the world, what a great man that we should honor everyday. Why are we still not listening 😢😢😢. I listened 🌹RIP 

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Caaareful Shopper you are absolutely correct.  Dr. King's legacy goes beyond the "I have a dream" speech.  His writings are phenomenal, especially the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail."  How I wish the history of the continuing movement for equality was a part of the curriculum in schools at all levels. Were it know, perhaps we would not have to continuosly wage the same battles ove and over again.  How I wish "leaders" today would embrace his ideals.

Oh yes @Zernia Rose, I so agree, and cherish the beauty of knowing that letter was written with the light of the sun that fell through his jail cell's bars.

Honored Contributor

I was just telling my husband that I remember the day he was assassinated.

In class, everyone was stunned, we couldn't believe it, most people were crying, and then we went home to the news.  Riveted to our TV sets.  It couldn't be true, but it was.

He was an incredible man.  When he would come to San Francisco, he stayed at the hotel where my aunt was the receptionist.  I wish I had been able to meet him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just thinking about this man the other day. I was out driving and my city re-named one of our main roads to the 'MLK' freeway. It made me think of him and how the man changed the world for the greater good. It means a lot to me to see that my city named a road in honor of him.

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Dr. King changed the world, what a great man that we should honor everyday. Why are we still not listening 😢😢😢. I listened 🌹RIP 

I was just thinking how much we need someone like him today. There is so much hate. The good must overcome the evil.  True Christians must be seen  and heard.  The imposters are speaking out all the time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember that day he was assassinated as if it were yesterday.  My best friend and I were playing volleyball at the university when we heard the news. I couldn't stop crying.   Sadly, my dear friend died last month of Lewy Body dementia.  A very sad day, indeed.