Respected Contributor

Re: Dr Martin Luther King Day

[ Edited ]

I remember that when MLK was assassinated, the National Guard was activated and one of my older brothers was activated to try and prevent rioting.  That night, I remember when Bobby Kennedy spoke to a crowd of black people in Indianapolis, saying:

“I have some very sad news for all of you,” Kennedy began, before making his the announcement. He then described how Dr. King had dedicated his life to love and to justice, and he pleaded for the love and understanding for which Dr. King had always stood. Then he said something startling.

“For those of you who are black and are tempted to be filled with hatred and mistrust of the injustice of such an act against all white people, I would only say that I can also feel in my own heart the same kind of feeling,” he said. “I had a member of my own family killed, but he was killed by a white man.”

"What we need in the United States is not division; what we need in the United States is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence or lawlessness, but love and wisdom, and compassion toward one another, and a feeling of justice towards those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or whether they be black." 

Kennedy reiterated his belief that the country needed and wanted unity between blacks and whites and encouraged the country to "dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and to make gentle the life of this world." He finished by asking the audience members to pray for "our country and our people." Rather than exploding in anger at the tragic news of King's death, the crowd exploded in applause and enthusiasm before dispersing quietly."

Honored Contributor

I was 8 years old, I assume that I was in school.  I do remember the tv coverage and I can vaguely remember the general pain, anger, outrage surrounding it.  I didn't truly understand the civil rights movement and MLK's life and accomplishments until many years later.  

Esteemed Contributor

I was bowling. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I didn't ask the question but I also Thank You for your replies.. I wasn't born when all this happen so I'm always interested.

Respected Contributor

Always had respect for the man .. and wish we still had him with us ....

Respected Contributor

I was 18 years old and  a senior in high school. I remember that i was studying for a psychology test the next day.  We lost a great American and a great man that night. But in his short time on earth he taught us lessons that endure today. The 60's was a decade of assassinations and the terrible war in Vietnam. It shaped my life and the lives of so many of my generation. We should all read the teachings of Dr. King and rededicate our lives to the principles that he stood for. 

Respected Contributor

Y

@50Mickey wrote:

I was 18 years old and  a senior in high school. I remember that i was studying for a psychology test the next day.  We lost a great American and a great man that night. But in his short time on earth he taught us lessons that endure today. The 60's was a decade of assassinations and the terrible war in Vietnam. It shaped my life and the lives of so many of my generation. We should all read the teachings of Dr. King and rededicate our lives to the principles that he stood for. 

You are so right ... we should rededicate our lives to his principals ....It certainly

wouldn't hurt .....

Respected Contributor

I just watched a HBO documentary about him, tonight.
He was a great man. I am grateful he lived and preached his truth. He understood he might not make it and he still marched on. He stood his ground. He embodies so many of our hopes and dreams.I hope our country never forgets what he tried to give to so many people who needed to hear his voice.
Respected Contributor

alliswell, that is a beautiful speech by Bobby Kennedy.
Thanks for posting it.
Esteemed Contributor

And two months and two days later, he was dead too. ‘68 was a rough year. 

Keepin' it real.