Honored Contributor

Funny that Marijuana Pepsi has never smoked pot or drunk Pepsi-Cola.  Is Vandyck her married name?  I  bet she was glad to marry!

Honored Contributor

I think giving children bizarre or comical names is cruel and it should not be allowed.  It isn't in some countries.  However, a name is just a name.  I've seen worse than this.  It's worse when a parent saddles a kid with a 16 letter name that is unpronouceable.  I'm sure her name was aggravating but it certainly was not an impediment to success.  

Honored Contributor

She is to be congratulated for her achievement.  However, I don't understand her reasoning for keeping the name; it sounds more like an excuse for wanting to keep it.  I would have changed it, even translating it to English would have allowed her to keep the name she was given, yet not be embarrassed or bullied.

Agree; the mother is an idiot.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I agree that her mother is an idiot. However it seems that she enjoyed being bullied otherwise she could have just called herself Mari....simple.  I do admire her for being a strong woman and obtaining her goals.

She embraced her name and stayed strong. Enjoyed being bullied? SMH

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I agree that her mother is an idiot. However it seems that she enjoyed being bullied otherwise she could have just called herself Mari....simple.  I do admire her for being a strong woman and obtaining her goals.

@mom2four0418 

I know!

Funny to see this story play out.

Some people just can’t let go of the past...and there they will stay.

It’s disheartening the description of ‘idiot’ is being thrown around.

Clearly she is not. 

Her daughter is a doctor.

Honored Contributor

This was discussed today on The Talk. 

Honored Contributor

I understand why she kept her name, for those who made fun of her throughout her young life knows what she has accomplished in life. I don't know whether this true or not but I understood that Barbra Streisand refused to have her nose fixed because of being ridiculed growing up. 

I see Dr. Marijuana Pepsi saying look at me now, I have overcome despite the crazy name that my Mom gave to me.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor
Reminds me of the story where a mom made a Facebook post where she claimed airport employees were rude to her because her daughter's name was Abcde (absidee) and they felt she was trolling them. Mom didn't get a lot of sympathy and was accused of being an attention w**ore for choosing that name. I don't get parents who who choose these weird names or spellings knowing others unfortunately will give kids a hard time about it. The kid has to live with it unless they get it legally changed. But kudos to Dr. Marijuana Pepsi for her achievement. (I too thought this post was going to be about weed infused soda!) 😁
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Or MaryJane Woman Wink LOL.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@mom2four0418 Oh Please don't shake your head at me!  Why else would she be proud of the name while being bullied? ....why keep it then?  ...what's the point?....  to remain strong?  really?...a silly idea!!  No she was a strong person to begin with.

How easy it was to just call herself Mari, MaryJane, Mary, etc. I'll say it again yes it seems to me that she liked being called by her given name.