Trusted Contributor

Boomer Remover ...... why would any generation wish the illness or death of their parents or grandparents? Isn't that who the Boomer generation is to the Millenniums?

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

While I heartily agree with some of your thoughtful critique, @Greeneyedlady21 , here's where I depart:  I do believe, personally, that comments about the efficacy of the communication skills of a physician on the task force, don't really call for a partisan political response in a thread like this.  I don't think anyone is making a  "recommendation" about any of the task members outside of their performance in this present, urgent circumstance.  To pull extraneous factors into this specific discussion, I believe, leads to a furthering of the divisiveness we all want to avoid. 

@Oznell, in general, I agree that politics and divisiveness have no place in thi crisis. But I hope you understand that it has and probably will continue, includingby those whom you seem to trust so much, as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Hope springs eternal, @suzyQ3 .  As more of the realization that we are all in this together has sunk in to even those most polarized, it could get better!

Honored Contributor

She and Dr. Falchi let the younger people have it ! in spades. They stamped 'paid' to irresponsible behavior and really made a public appeal if they don't care about themselves then do it for your loved ones and friends.

Trusted Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

Does anyone else think that Dr comes across as cold? I'm just curious if it's me, but there is something about her that is just NOT inviting at all. The same goes with Dr Faucci.

IMO we need those in leadership roles to be a little nicer maybe is the word. I don't know I could be alone in my thoughts, but I think there are others that understand what I mean. 

Actually I thought the opposite; she seemed very pleasant and smiled quite a bit...I was not surprised to see she's a mom, as that came out in her personality. 

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

@SarahW  ..... The post from @jonbon was in reference to several other posts comments. I do not see how @jonbon  comment would or should have "offended" you.

What I am saying is that if the Millennials "communicate successfully independent of picking up the phone. Know how to contact each other without large social gatherings" you need to include Generation Z. They probably learned from their parents and do the same.

Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

Does anyone else think that Dr comes across as cold? I'm just curious if it's me, but there is something about her that is just NOT inviting at all. The same goes with Dr Faucci.

IMO we need those in leadership roles to be a little nicer maybe is the word. I don't know I could be alone in my thoughts, but I think there are others that understand what I mean. 

Actually I thought the opposite; she seemed very pleasant and smiled quite a bit...I was not surprised to see she's a mom, as that came out in her personality. 

Whenever people are no nonsense, practical , good ol' common sense types, people don't like that.  It offends them they think they're getting preached to. Which wouldn't hurt them , either, but, people who want to do what they want to will judge the practical folk as 'cold', 'mean', etc.   They don't like any kind of checks.

Respected Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

I think some of things she says come off a little bit condescending not everything.   I think Dr. Faucci is ok.

Honored Contributor

I never knew one Dr. in my life who isn't condescending . LOL

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

Info on Dr Birx -eminently qualified, experienced and a decisionmaker:

Of the three people leading the U S response to the coronavirus, only one, Dr Deborah Birx, has previously been on the frontline against a mysterious virus which scientists couldn’t stop.

It was the 1980s and Birx was fresh out of medical school. The virus was HIV.

At the medical center where Birx worked as a US army physician, healthy young men were dying in droves from an illness no one could name.

“When you’re trained in medicine and it’s the 80s and you’ve got all this hi-tech stuff and this ability to diagnose everything,” Birx said in a Sept 2019 interview with the George W Bush Presidential Center, “when you not only couldn’t make a diagnosis, you didn’t know what the problem was, and you didn’t know how to treat it, it was devastating.”

But instead of being cowed, Birx twisted her heartbreak and confusion into research and treatment. In doing so, she embarked on a career dedicated to stopping HIV and Aids.

Having gone head-to-head with global health leaders while overseeing a program responsible for saving millions of lives, Birx has become something of a legend in the global health community.

Now her task is to stop the spread of Covid-19.

“When it is a matter of making tough decisions, she will do it,” said Dr Carlos del Rio, a professor in the global health department at Emory University who has known Birx for more than 20 years. “And that, to me, is what we need right now.”

The vice-president, Mike Pence, is overseeing a taskforce led by the health secretary, Alex Azar, but has said Birx is his “right arm”. It is an unusual arrangement but Birx, one of the few political appointees of Barack Obama to survive into the Trump years, has made clear she can operate in such an environment.

In 2014, Obama appointed her ambassador-at-large and global Aids coordinator. The latter role gave her control of the the largest effort by any country to stop a single disease, 

At Birx's swearing in, the secretary of state, John Kerry, shared how her foresight and intelligence about the disease may have saved her own life in 1983, when Aids was still a mystery.

Birx was giving birth to her first daughter and had lost a significant amount of blood, Kerry said. The doctor ordered a transfusion but Birx had read a report about the mystery disease and the risks of such a process.

“Do not let them give me blood,” she screamed, before passing out from pain.

Her husband followed her orders, stopping a transfusion the hospital later revealed would have been contaminated with HIV.

“It made her think hard not just about the perils of this new disease, but about her responsibility to fight it,” Kerry said.

In a Sept 2019 interview, Birx explained how the sacrifices of infected soldiers helped define her commitment to fighting the disease.

“They died with such courage and such willingness to try different things, realizing it may not help them, but it would help the person behind them,” she said. “I just never saw that level of altruism, amidst just death and despair, from the patients themselves.”

She spent the next two decades helping to lead an influential HIV vaccine trial and providing important contributions to understanding the disease in the military, where she was promoted to colonel. She was lured out of the military after George W Bush started Pepfar in 2003.

The program began when drugs to manage HIV/Aids and prevent its transmission were available in the US but not in Africa, where millions were dying. Birx joined two years later, overseeing programs led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Her work has taken her around the globe to study and learn and to ensure US money funding such programs is used effectively. Del Rio, who chairs the scientific advisory board for Pepfar, said Birx had confronted global health leaders misusing US funds.

“She doesn’t say, ‘We’ll give you another opportunity,’” he said. “She stands up to a minister of health and says: ‘I’m sorry but we’re not doing that.’”

At one point, the World Health Organization called for people to stop using a HIV/Aids medicine. Scientists at Pepfar thought it was the wrong call. Birx listened to them, then ignored the WHO.

“At the end of the day, she was right,” Del Rio said. “This is the right decision. She listened to the data, she looked at the data and she said, ‘Let’s proceed.’ She is a bold leader. I have a lot of respect for her.'

THANK YOU  @ms traditional  I didn't know much about her and you saved me from looking her up myself !  Woman Wink