Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Birx - Don't go to grocery stores or pharmacies

[ Edited ]

After one chaotic visit to a local supermarket, in which I found shelves stripped bare of necessities, including bread,I vowed never to go again.  I joined Instacart.  I only have one medication and it was delivered to me.  So I haven't set foot in a supermarket or pharmacy/drug store since this all began. Even prior to all of this, I got food only from Amazon Fresh delivered, and I always had medicine delivered to me. Amazon Fresh is blocked from me, since a million of the people discovered it, so I did the next best thing in Instacart. 

Valued Contributor

Hopefully with this virus circulating thru the population we have learned we are vulnerable at any moment and need to be prepared as much as possible.  This virus could be with us for decades and may only be controlled with  a vaccine.  Staying at home is not a huge hardship.  We are not in trenches fighting bullets and bombs.  We are not held in POW camps or fed spoiled food. Toughen up and remain positive.  Those working hard to keep us informed and protected should be thanked.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@beach-mom 

Dr. Birx was talking about specific areas of the country that are/were the hardest hit by the virus. NY/Detroit/Louisiana etc. when she made that statement. Maybe you, and others interpreted it differently than I did. 

Whatever you feel is right for you? Go for it. I plan on doing the same as the last 2+ weeks. 

hckynut 

=====

I think you interpreted it correctly @hckynut . Also those who are saying the mask advice has changed, I think it has to do with helping prevent your droplets from spreading to others; initially, people were asking if masks should be used to prevent getting the virus.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

This is bizarre. One time were told only wear mask if you are not well; next minute you need to wear mask out in public.

Are they trying to make people crazy? I just don't understand all these doctors who have so many different inputs. Is the public being misinformed to keep our economy in the toilet!! This really angers me to find out from one day to the next no one really knows that much about this virus.

I think that is why we see people out and about doing their business. How long can this go on before people start doing normal(whatever that means).

@elated,  I agree that the mixed messages significantly contributes to mistrust by the general populace and confusion about what needs to be done versus what could be done to protect ourselves and others.

As to no one really knowing that much about the virus most of the medical professionals I've followed readily admit they are still learning about this previously unseen virus and continuously adapting recommendations and protocols as they learn more.  While there are similarities to other coronaviruses this particular one is different in many ways from those previously studied, particularly in regard to transmission.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@beach-mom 

Dr. Birx was talking about specific areas of the country that are/were the hardest hit by the virus. NY/Detroit/Louisiana etc. when she made that statement. Maybe you, and others interpreted it differently than I did. 

Whatever you feel is right for you? Go for it. I plan on doing the same as the last 2+ weeks. 

hckynut 

=====

I think you interpreted it correctly @hckynut . Also those who are saying the mask advice has changed,  I think it has to do with helping prevent your droplets from spreading to others; initially, people were asking if masks should be used to prevent getting the virus.

BINGO !!

Super Contributor

Where I am in Central Florida, it's business as usual. We now have 38 cases in our county.  I went out for a fresh food WM grocery pickup yesterday for only the second time since this started.  Walmart parking lot was just as packed as always.  I saw no evidence of a line outside waiting to get in, no masks, and people with children with them.  Same thing at Lowe's - parking lot packed even more than usual.  Very little business at the fast food restaurants and gas stations.  Line of cars at Walgreen's pharmacy drive-thru window. Neighbors still congregating for conversation up close and personal and in and out in their cars several times a day.  Like nothing is happening.

Living in a hurricane state, I always have plenty of shelf stable food and water on hand in case of emergency.  Perhaps when this is over, people will have learned the lesson that they need to keep a food supply for themselves and their families on hand at all times.  It doesn't have to be that expensive.  Just buy an extra can or two or box of pasta, pack of tp, etc., when buying regular groceries and slowly create a stockpile.  I have two emergency WISE buckets of food, but I would prefer not to eat those unless a REAL food shortage, I have Mountain House meals, plenty of canned food, pasta, instant oatmeal, peanut butter, crackers, canned beans, ghee, powdered eggs, freeze-dried fruit, applesauce, Kraft mac and cheese, evaporated milk, coffee, instant creamer, condiments, juices, canned tuna and chicken, flour, yeast, sugar, etc. 

You can still order shelf stable foods on Amazon and other online stores.  You are going to pay a premium, but that's what happens when people don't prepare in advance.  You can order food from QVC & HSN - overpriced, yes, but it's food.  Sign up for a Schwan's account for food delivery, or one of the food/meal subscription boxes like Marley Spoon, Home Chef, etc. or Butcher Box for meat or one of the harvest boxes for fresh fruit and veg.

People are acting like they are going to lose their minds if they can't find toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer and now masks.  There are far worse things than running out of toilet paper, but when this is over, make sure you always have a nice supply on hand and then you won't have to stress yourself out over it and expose yourself to a deadly disease trying to find some.

I also find it interesting how people can't stand to just stay at home.  There's no place on earth I would rather be and can find endless projects and things to entertain myself with.  No lines either.

Honored Contributor

I have to say when i heard her say that,i thought  WTH.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I live in NYC and have limited my outings to going to the grocery store once a week ( if I need something at CVS I go straight from the supermarket). I can't find most of what I want at the supermarket, if I don't go for two weeks, I'll have nothing to eat.

Respected Contributor

@ID2  Exactly my take on the situation. This virus is new. By studying the virus as it passes through other countries is probably the only information they have now. The best thing to do is stay home, only go out if absolutely necessary. Stay safe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@beach-mom 

hckynut

@hckynut is correct & she also added...if possible. It's easy to find her statement & READ it before commenting. 

This is exactly why I've paid very little attention to the overwhelming abundance of virus threads here. Too much incomplete, and therefore misleading information. This is NOT the place to get information. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~