Valued Contributor

Re: Downton Abbey. Who is your favorite Character? Who the least favorite?

On 1/4/2015 Pickwickpapers said: Bates is my fav character......Thomas not. Love Edith but Mary is aggravating. Kudos to all the actors and everyone involved in the production though......a quality event.....

I agree. It is one of a few quality shows on TV. I wish the series was twice a year. Julian Fellows has been commission to do a series about Cora and Robert and how they met. I am looking forward to this. I also read where PBS is doing a remake of Poldark. That should be a good show. Keep the quality shows coming, PBS.

Respected Contributor

On 1/3/2015 happy housewife said:
On 1/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/2/2015 happy housewife said:

I'm not certain he didn't kill the wife as well. I guess we will find out this season if he killed the rapist. He definitely has a dark side.

Why can't these people get dressed and undressed without someone to help them?

I laugh at that old custom. It must have been adopted by people who fancied themselves royalty and was probably widely practiced amongst the aristocracy. It's all very amusing (as Mary would say in her arrogant and condescending manner).

Today we feel special if we remember to lay out our next day's clothes the night before.

Respected Contributor

I do not have a favorite character as I enjoy pretty much everyone but Mary.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy Mr. Bates the most and do without Mary.

Honored Contributor

I like them all, they are all so believable in their roles.

Esteemed Contributor

I watch a lot of PBS, especially on the weekend, because the good shows on then. I am a contributor to keep the station going. This is how they stay on the air through contributions.
Valued Contributor

Season 5 is starting off great. I don't care much for Ms. Bunting.

Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 qvcaddition said: I watch a lot of PBS, especially on the weekend, because the good shows on then. I am a contributor to keep the station going. This is how they stay on the air through contributions.

Me too. But I tell them to keep the tote bags, I have quite a few already.

Super Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Free2be said:
On 1/3/2015 happy housewife said:
On 1/2/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/2/2015 happy housewife said:

I'm not certain he didn't kill the wife as well. I guess we will find out this season if he killed the rapist. He definitely has a dark side.

Why can't these people get dressed and undressed without someone to help them?

I laugh at that old custom. It must have been adopted by people who fancied themselves royalty and was probably widely practiced amongst the aristocracy. It's all very amusing (as Mary would say in her arrogant and condescending manner). {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Today we feel special if we remember to lay out our next day's clothes the night before. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

After last night's premiere there was a show called "The Manners of Downton" and Alistair addressed the dressing issue. It had a lot to do with how complicated the clothing was, not something that a person could put on by themselves. For example a woman could not put on her own corset or the multiple layers of clothing. One of the male actors said that the stiff fronts of the formal shirts were hard to put on and movement was a bit restricted once it was on. Now, by the 1920's clothing was less complicated and that was probably the beginning of the end of the era of ladies maids.

I do not have one favorite, Branson is one of my favorites. It seems the writers do not know what to do with him since Sybil died, I hope they punch up his story line soon. Bates is my least liked character, I suspect he did have a hand in the death of the valet Greene and his first wife. We may learn more.

Valued Contributor

Love Mrs. Hughes and the Dowager (her looks are the best). I do not hate anyone on the show, however, I am not overly fond of Edith or Cora. What a great cast they all are, it is a really well put together show.