Honored Contributor

Re: Down Or Down Alternative Comforters

I'm pretty sure that I bought my down comforter from The Company Store.  I got one that has the ties in the corners so that you can attach it to a duvet cover that also has the ties.  This has worked out great for me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Down on my bed, alternative on my kids' beds for obvious reason ! ; )
Honored Contributor

Hands down down comforter! I got my last one from "Overstock". 

Respected Contributor

A good comforter is an investment, so I did a lot of research before finally making a purchase to replace an old one.  Below is a summary of what I learned and used in my decision making process.  I hope it helps.

• Be watchful of the percentage of feathers to down, looking for at least 75% down.
  • Most goose down comes from China and is inferior quality. There is no such thing as Siberian goose down, it is a deceptive marketing term. The best goose down is Hungarian white goose down.
  • Fill power is all about the amount of down in the comforter, the number of cubic inches to ounce of down.  The larger the number, the higher the fill power. A good fill power starts around 600, but can go to 800 or more.  Warmth (and price) increases accordingly.
  • Baffle box construction keeps the down from shifting to the bottom of the comforter.  Sealed baffle box is best.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Check out "Cuddledown"...just google and search "comforters"...They have a wonderful selection and their quality is the best!...We bought a down alternative from them about five years ago and love it!...They have many to choose from...One is called the "Temperature Regulating Synthetic Fill Comforter" and has great reviews.

They are all made in the good ole' USA (Yarmouth, Maine)!...Their site is very informative and their customer service is wonderful also...very helpful, so browse and enjoy!

Thanks, I'm heading over there right now!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I presently have a down comforter and am looking to replace it. I don't know if I should get another down (which I like) or get a down alternative one. I don't have allergies so that's not a problem. I know the down is costly, so I am wondering if I would be just as happy with a down alternative and save a little money! What do most of you have and do you have any advice for me?

You didn't mention what part of the country you're in and how cold it gets in winter.    If you're in Northern U.S., get down.   

Honored Contributor

Down is plucked from live birds. It's cruel animal abuse. So, no, I would never buy a down comforter.

Trusted Contributor

I purchased my first DOWN comforter over 15yrs ago,still have it!  I wash it, throw it the dryer and back onto bed.  Down is ever so much nicer than alternative.  Duvets can change up a look or color or add a bit of extra weight.  I live in AZ now and still use the comforter!    tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Down is plucked from live birds. It's cruel animal abuse. So, no, I would never buy a down comforter.

I didn't realize this, so I looked it up.  This is what I found on Wikipedia:

"Although live-plucking is illegal in the United States and Europe, it is known to occur in two European countries (Poland and Hungary) and in China.[31] Public sentiment against the practice has, in some countries, been strong. IKEA and Patagonia (a clothing manufacturer) have altered product lines to eliminate the use (or possible use) of live-plucked down."

It sounds like if you purchase a down comforter made in the USA (from USA birds) the down won't have come from live birds.  It sounds like a horrible practice.  It would be worth asking where the down came from before purchasing a comforter.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I like them both.  Value would be a big consideration for me.  Just for the sake of having feathers from actual birds wouldn't sway me (in fact it might dissuade me).

Cogito ergo sum