Esteemed Contributor

Re: Down Or Down Alternative Comforters

I would buy at LLBean. The down comforters have 16" baffle construction with a 400 thread count cover. You can call and ask about warmth and fill.http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66421?feat=1158-GN2&page=sateen-white-goose-down-comforter-warmer&att...

Some nice videos from Cuddledown http://www.cuddledown.com/VideoLibrary.aspx?video=20

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I presently have a down comforter and am looking to replace it. I don't know if I should get another down (which I like) or get a down alternative one. I don't have allergies so that's not a problem. I know the down is costly, so I am wondering if I would be just as happy with a down alternative and save a little money! What do most of you have and do you have any advice for me?

You didn't mention what part of the country you're in and how cold it gets in winter.    If you're in Northern U.S., get down.   

I live in NYC and some winters can be brutal. My house is drafty and my room is always cold. Raising the heat doesn't help so I do like a warm comforter. I have washed and dried my down comforter and it has never been the same, sort of flat.

Regular Contributor

I bought an extra large King down alternative comforter 5 years ago from Downlite and it's been perfect in everyway. Medium warmth and light weight when we snuggle into bed. My husband wants more warmth than I and this has been a wise solution. Great for summer and winter. Washes and dries very well. Just couldn't or wouldn't go for the feathers and feel good about that at night. 😃

Honored Contributor

Under the Canopy is a great brand that uses organic cotton, down alternative filler (even if the birds aren't plucked alive, they're still killed just for the down), the filler is non toxic, non GMO, recycled materials, they are a free trade company, very eco friendly.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

I just ordered one from L.L. Bean to replace a hand me down that I had used for several years.  I was going to go with the "warmest" but the reviews said how ridiculously hot it was. Since my climate now is a bit milder, I went with the second warmest.  I haven't put it on the bed as it is in the 70s here, but last year I waited too long to order and they sold out quickly.