Trusted Contributor

Re: Dorm living-I forgot what you have to put up with

I’m so thankful when I attended college we had separate women’s and men’s dorms and was told “never the twain shall meet.”  Would never attend a college any other way. 

Honored Contributor

My son could only stand the dorm for a couple of months.He said the constant noise and people coming and going from room to room was too much.I was talking to him on the phone and heard an awful noise.He told me it was a person vomiting outside his door.He said on the weekends the elevators were full of vomit and urine so he used the stairs until the janitors got them cleaned.He stayed one year and then moved into a house with four people.He was finally able to settle down and accomplish something.

When we visited the dorms,I noticed that all dorm doors were left open and was told that was an unwritten rule to be considered social.I don't know how anyone could get anything accomplished or get any sleep in that atmosphere.

Honored Contributor

I think back to dorm living & it always makes me smile. Of course, I went to an all female nursing school - not a college - I'm sure it makes a difference. I also think that the girls in my school were much more conservative than just the general public.I went to high school at a very large , inner city school, and the kids in my high school would have called my class in nursing school "prissy". Just to get by on a daily basis in my high school required you be pretty darn tough - nursing school was the polar opposite. Anyway - I really loved nursing school including dorm living. Now a days - living it a dorm sounds like it is pretty disgusting.

Valued Contributor

I lived on coed floors in college and had no problems except once.  There were no urinals.  One male SOB followed me to the bathroom that had only one stall and stood in there.  He was a disgusting person but wondered why the girls didn't like him.  I let it go, since it didn't happen again, but if that happened to me now I would have reported him and asked that he be removed from the floor.

Honored Contributor

Yes, that's college life today.  Daughter #1 was in co-ed dorm for a year and then we opted to pay for a tiny studio apartment for her, it was a short walk to campus.  The dorm was brand new so there were no icky problems (which are not rare for college dorms) but situations like you described did happen.  Also, there was the problem of girls bringing their boyfriends in for secks, even if their roomate was in the next bed.  I found out that, that isn't rare either.  My niece and my friend's daughter had pigs like that for roomates too and the schools tell the girls they have to "work it out themselves".  My niece's dorm room was so dirty that she came back home with us and I had my housekeeper and her daughter go up the next day and clean the room.  There was no way she could live in that room the way it was left and the school hadn't done anything it all.  It's a very different world now.  

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Womens floor = womens bathrooms. I'm still trying to figure out why there was a urinal in the womens bathroom in the first place

It's not hard to understand.   The floors change from male to female; year to year; depending on the student population.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Good for your daughter for speaking up. 

Dorm life can can be difficult. It’s a mix of all kinds of kids. (I do mean kids.) Sometimes they act out, go overboard because they are given independence they have never had before. 

College life is indeed about so much more than academics.

For many kids it is their first step out in to the real world, as they have lived quite protected and polite lives (not saying that is the case with the OP). They have no idea how rude and crude the world can be, and communal dorm living is quite an initiation for many kids.

It becomes a training ground for how to deal with difficult people without mom and dad stepping in, puts many kids in sharing situations (bedrooms, bathrooms and their 'stuff') like they've never experienced, even if they come from families with lots of siblings. 

They learn that some people have much different priorities than they themselves do (one wants to party, the other to study), and are tempted heavily in ways they may not have experienced before.

I think every college student should spend at least one year in a dorm. IF nothing else, it is a motivator to get out and appreciate a different living environment when they get an apartment.

I didn't get that opportunity, and always regretted it. I started college at a branch of THE Ohio State University back in the late 70's while living at home, and did my first two years there before transferring to the main campus. My dad died just one month before I started college, and he firmly believed kids with the opportunity of living near a branch campus should begin there and mature some before going away, as well as save a lot of money by living at home. By the time, as a junior I hit the big campus, I felt I was too old to go into the dorms, and rented an off campus apartment.

I never wanted to belong to a sorority, but really have felt I missed out not having a dorm experience, bad or good!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Yes, that's college life today.  Daughter #1 was in co-ed dorm for a year and then we opted to pay for a tiny studio apartment for her, it was a short walk to campus.  The dorm was brand new so there were no icky problems (which are not rare for college dorms) but situations like you described did happen.  Also, there was the problem of girls bringing their boyfriends in for secks, even if their roomate was in the next bed.  I found out that, that isn't rare either.  My niece and my friend's daughter had pigs like that for roomates too and the schools tell the girls they have to "work it out themselves".  My niece's dorm room was so dirty that she came back home with us and I had my housekeeper and her daughter go up the next day and clean the room.  There was no way she could live in that room the way it was left and the school hadn't done anything it all.  It's a very different world now.  

Any college age student should be capable of cleaning up her own dorm room even if the mess isn't hers. How does someone learn how not to live in a room left that way, if they don't handle it themselves.

She should have been encouraged to get the school to make it right or do it herself. 

I can't believe the lengths people go to to prevent kids from learning to do for themselves. 

A housekeeper to clean your dorm room. What's next?

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Any college age student should be capable of cleaning up her own dorm room even if the mess isn't hers. How does someone learn how not to live in a room left that way, if they don't handle it themselves.

She should have been encouraged to get the school to make it right or do it herself. 

I can't believe the lengths people go to to prevent kids from learning to do for themselves. 

A housekeeper to clean your dorm room. What's next?

Interesting mominohio....didn't think of my sons experiences in that way but I possibly missed giving him some coping skills by my actions.

Respected Contributor

I went to college in the 80’s. I lived on all girl floors but there were no restrictions on boys being there. It was common to prop your door open, socialize, etc.  The coed floors in my building were every other room, boy, girl, boy girl. My friend lived on one of those floors. It was crazy loud. Constant happenings 

Flash forward to now. DD goes to large SEC school. She lived on a coed floor her freshman year. Nothing like my dorm in the 80’s. They are not allowed to prop open their doors. It’s quiet as a library. It’s like living on a clean quiet hotel floor. 

So my experience with “these crazy kids these days” is the exact opposite. We were the wild and crazy kids. And guess what? We all survived and went on to lead productive lives