Trusted Contributor

Re: Doris Day's final wishes

@Pqfan wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

I feel this way too. Besides I don’t think I can get anyone to come to my funeral anyway.

Awwww.  Why?

I don’t have too many friends and almost all of my family is deceased and the ones that are left I am not really close to. 

I saw a picture of the inside of a mail box door.  The owner wrote a note to the mail carrier saying if the mail stacked up, the carrier should call the owner's son.  He was alone and his son lived a distance away.  

Trusted Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@alarmclock   She was referring to Wallis Simpson who was the Duchess of Windsor whose husband gave up the crown to marry her. He was the brother of Queen Elizabeth's father.

Diana was the Princess of Wales.

I was not sure about the whole thing when I read "Charles".

Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

It's not an unusual request; some people aren't into the "death" thing.  I don't think it's a matter of not accepting death.  We all know we are going to die and the older and closer to it we get, the more we accept inevitability of it.  Funerals are never for the deceased person, they are for the family, friends, neighbors yada yada yada.  And sadly, like weddings and christenings; funerals have become big splashy day long events.  The post-funeral coffee and cake at the home that I grew up has morhphed into reception at a restaurant of function all with "entertainment".  I think that is what Doris Day did not want want.  She didn't want her passing to be an event.  

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

I feel this way too. Besides I don’t think I can get anyone to come to my funeral anyway.

@Pqfan   I would come!   But I'm probably older than you so it's moot!    Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wish Doris had left me her wardrobe from Midnight Lace!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why would doris not want to see her grandchild?And i think you owe it to your animals to be there,for them to feel your touch,and love in the final minutes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

@Pqfan   I would come!   But I'm probably older than you so it's moot!    Smiley Happy

@Pearlee Aww❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Reports say that it was this business manager and "close friend" who kept Doris from reuniting with her only grandchild, Ryan Melcher after years of estrangement.

Ryan has a lengthy Facebook post about the situation.  Who knows what the truth is, but it is very sad she had no family with her.

@Johnnyeager   I just read Ryan’s F.B. post.How sad. Unfortunately, These things happen a lot.

I have an uncle who remarried after my aunt died.His new wife wrecked havoc in the family. She had my uncle put her name on everything.The house,stock portfolio,life insurance policy etc. She alienated his 4 kids. By the time he died the only one he was speaking to was his wife.

When we showed up at my uncles funeral we were all treated like strangers,even his kids.They were not allowed to visit him when he was ill!!

Honored Contributor

Happened to Peter Falk of Columbo fame, also

Valued Contributor

@Pqfan @My husband had the same wishes so I honored them. Me I have my children and no other family so my wishes are the same.  You are not alone.