Honored Contributor

Re: Doris Day's final wishes

No funerals for my husband or me either.  No funeral home visitation.  I’m fine the obituaries. Simple, QUICK graveside service for family only to bury our cremated ashes. Done. I hate hoopla and that includes matters of dying. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

When you are making decisions about your final wishes, it shouldn't be about you.  It should be about those you are leaving behind.  It is not as though you will be around trying to come to terms with your loss.  The ones you have left behind are the ones that have to do that.  It is healthy to give family and friends some kind of final goodbye.  They usually feel better paying their respects, and it helps them move on.

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

I feel this way too. Besides I don’t think I can get anyone to come to my funeral anyway.

@Pqfan   I don't believe that; it will be a full house. (In the far distant future.)

Esteemed Contributor

@GraceLady   It's true funerals, viewings etc. are for those left behind, however,speaking for myself only, I never found any comfort or closure for any service I've  attended. I've lost both parents,  4 grandparents, numerous aunts and uncles, and 2 close friends who died in their 40's.

This is a discussion everyone should have with their loved ones but the final decision is yours.

Trusted Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

I feel this way too. Besides I don’t think I can get anyone to come to my funeral anyway.

Awwww.  Why?

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

@Pqfan   I don't believe that; it will be a full house. (In the far distant future.)

@faeriemoon I am thinking of rhaving some kind of give away to make  the number of attendees go up. 🤣

Respected Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

Awwww.  Why?

I don’t have too many friends and almost all of my family is deceased and the ones that are left I am not really close to. 

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

@faeriemoon I am thinking of rhaving some kind of give away to make  the number of attendees go up. 🤣

@Pqfan Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Johnnyeager  I think that might have happened to the Duchess of Windsor too. I have often read she wanted Prince Charles to inherit, and her   overseer kept him away, while she was alive

I am not clear on what you are saying.  Diana had a will.  She inherited money after her father's death and she had a huge divorce settlement from Charles.

Her will gave money to various charities and to her two sons.  If she wanted Charles to have anything, he would have received it.

Diana was not kept away from her sons.  She was their mother but they are royal which means they were raised in accordance with palace standards.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alarmclock   She was referring to Wallis Simpson who was the Duchess of Windsor whose husband gave up the crown to marry her. He was the brother of Queen Elizabeth's father.

Diana was the Princess of Wales.