Super Contributor

I have found that, too often, sites set up for donations for disasters are used to create donor lists.  When they want that much information about me, I get suspicious.  Many of them have already decided on the amount to be contributed and often it starts at $100.   I am happy to send money but would prefer to do it without getting on a future "hit" list.  Some of these organiizations send several requests each month, making me wonder if any of the contributions are going for the stated purpose.   I am still getting solicitations from organizations I sent money to for Katrina, and that was in 2005.

I don't know what the solution is.

Honored Contributor

@excpa wrote:

I have found that, too often, sites set up for donations for disasters are used to create donor lists.  When they want that much information about me, I get suspicious.  Many of them have already decided on the amount to be contributed and often it starts at $100.   I am happy to send money but would prefer to do it without getting on a future "hit" list.  Some of these organiizations send several requests each month, making me wonder if any of the contributions are going for the stated purpose.   I am still getting solicitations from organizations I sent money to for Katrina, and that was in 2005.

Mail a money order to your favorite charity.

You don't have to include personal information.

Super Contributor

@software  What a great idea!  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I'm not bothered much by the subsequent contact by the charities.  I merely "unsubscribe" or "remove from lists" to get rid of future contacts.   Seems to work OK for me.

Respected Contributor

@excpa, I agree!  When charities hound me, I let them know that they'll never get another penny if they send more than one or two requests for money each year.  Another problem is that they sell your information to other organizations, and then you get hounded my many, not just the ones you give to!  

I like the money order idea!  Also, I might call to make a donationon the phone rather than on line... I don't want them to have my email address.  As I'm writing this, it occoured to me that there may be a site where you can sign up once, but chose from different charities to support.  I don't know, but it might be worth a try.

They can make giving unpleasant!

Honored Contributor

Whenever you donate to any organization, they add you to their data base and share the information with other organizations and you are innundated with requests for money.  It happens online but it also happens when you send a check.  That's just life.  One way to avoid that is to donate through your church.  That's what hubby and I did for quite a few years.  We made a sizable (for us) yearly donation to our church and that was our charitable contribution for the year.  We just got tired of our mailbox being stuffed with solicitations for this and for that.  Most are worthy causes but no one can donate money to every worthy cause.  If they don't get money, eventually they stop.  And then it began when we wrote a check to some cause or charity, I don't remember what but the floodgates opened.  As for where the money goes, they always pay salaries and expenses out of the donations.  I read somewhere that if 20% of donations actually goes to the cause, that's an excellent result because usually it is less than that.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Donor sites want TMI

[ Edited ]

Walk in to your local Red Cross & give cash, no need to give your name or any info. I was asked if I wanted a tax receipt & I said no. If this is an option for you it's easy & ANY amount is deeply appreciated. I have a limited budget, what I can give is small but know it does matter & it will help.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Donor sites want TMI

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

@excpa wrote:

@software @excpa A great idea but you do put your name/address in the money order as the sender.

I would opt for a cashier's check from the bank. 

Unless there are money orders where you do not list who the sender is? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@software wrote:

@excpa wrote:

@software  A great idea but you do put your name/address in the money order as the sender.

I don't think name & address is REQUIRED.   I know there is a place for it but put a fake name or whatever.   Cashiers checks at my bank are expensive, but always an option, if it doesn't require a name and/or address.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@software wrote:

@excpa wrote:

@software  A great idea but you do put your name/address in the money order as the sender.

I don't think name & address is REQUIRED.   I know there is a place for it but put a fake name or whatever.   Cashiers checks at my bank are expensive, but always an option, if it doesn't require a name and/or address.

@softwareOk. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh