Esteemed Contributor

Donation Overload

[ Edited ]

The main donation center here has 17 Thrift Shops - just announced they received volumes of donations following the virus lock-down.............they are selling clothing for $1.29 per pound.

No price tags .......just fill your bin ........take to checkout where it will be weighed and you pay accordingly.   No returns......of course.   They figure if it doesn't fit......pass those  items on to somebody it might.

America has neater closets!

Esteemed Contributor

WOW!!

Esteemed Contributor

I am glad people were productive with their downtime.   Nice to give for those that can use it.   I had purged so much stuff when downsizing a year and a half ago so I spent a lot of time watching netflix!

Honored Contributor

No donation centers here have opened yet, we finally got a pick up through Green Drop on behalf of the American Red Cross. Between closet cleaning and hubbies retirement we had 10+ trash bags full of clothes

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Donations seem to be an easy way to get around recycling laws.

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant How so?  I can't think of anything I've ever donated that was subject to the recycling laws in either of the areas where I live.

Honored Contributor

good news for the reselling biz

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops Agree with you........recycling here is for:  cardboard - newspapers - magazines - cans and bottles.   (Period)

Esteemed Contributor

What recycling laws? I recycle cardboard, bottles, and cans and only if It's easy for me. I'm not scrubbing jars to get them clean. If I have stuff that can't be donated I put them in a bag and trash them. 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt Same laws where I am.   But laws aside -  I can recycle right in front of my own home -  donating requires loading the car and finding an outlet to accept my cast-offs.   Zero reason to try to donate as a way to avoid the recycling laws.