Honored Contributor

Donating To Help Animals Abandoned During Hurricane Florence

I have searched for how to help animals abandoned during Hurricane Florence.  I got two hits on my searches, but they weren't anything I felt comfortable clicking on.  After Irma I donated to the Petco Foundation and thought I would do that again this time.  Their webpage says that from Oct. 17 - 24 any donations will go to animal welfare organizations impacted by 2018 Disasters, including Hurricane Florence.  I would prefer it go directly to Hurricane Florence animals.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  If not, I think I'll donate to the Petco Foundation again.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Donating To Help Animals Abandoned During Hurricane Florence

I think people need to wait until the people who coordinate that type of relief has time to evaluate the situation and tell you where to send your donation.

Valued Contributor

We always donate to Red Rover -- both in crisis situations and in memory of friends' pets.  If you are looking for a reputable pet charity -- please check them out.  I can't even remember how we first heard about them -- but we have been very impressed over the years.  They do incredible work.

Honored Contributor

Right now they need mostly volunteers to foster dogs/cats in shelters and those who may have been left behind.

Shelters in FL and GA are assisting.

My local Humane Society is assisting.   If you have a local humane society, they may have done the same & would take a donation, either money or supplies.

You have a big heart.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Right now they need mostly volunteers to foster dogs/cats in shelters and those who may have been left behind.

My local Humane Society is assisting.   If you have a local humane society, they may have done the same & would take a donation, either money or supplies.

You have a big heart.

@software  We do have a local humane society.  I had thought about calling them to see if they were doing anything.  Their website doesn't have any information about it.  I may call them this week.  Thank you for the suggestion.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brother Wolf  Animal Rescue.  There aren't enough words in the English language to describe the good this organization does. 

Their Rapid Response team was in coastal NC picking up animals from shelters and have been on the ground rescuing abandoned and lost animals as soon as they can into an area.

https://www.bwar.org/hurricane-florence-were-already-saving-lives/

ETA:  Forgot to mention they are a 501(c)(3 organization.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack:  

Best Friends Animal Society is a wonderful organization as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@software wrote:

You have a big heart.

@software  We do have a local humane society.  I had thought about calling them to see if they were doing anything.  Their website doesn't have any information about it.  I may call them this week.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Many local shelter are taking in animals that were previously in shelters before the storm.  They could use the extra funds, would call them first. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I saw this last night on national news ... these dogs rescued in NC ... left in their pen as water levels were around their necks.  The owner(s) should be locked in one of these during the next flood.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaBreeze wrote:

I saw this last night on national news ... these dogs rescued in NC ... left in their pen as water levels were around their necks.  The owner(s) should be locked in one of these during the next flood.

@seaBreeze  I saw that, too.  I can't imagine leaving an animal in such a condition.  I can't imagine leaving an animal at all.  I'm so glad they were rescued and hope they are placed in a wonderful home.

-Henry David Thoreau