Honored Contributor

Re: Donate shoes and socks to local charities for children going back to school

Wow, @NativeJax.  I didn't see your wonderful post ❤️

Trusted Contributor

Thank you Tansy....I didn't know about Charity Navigator:-) I will be checking that out.

I know we all know someone in need, even if it is indirectly. We also know there are always people out there who abuse the system but its not going to stop me from giving.

I donated to goodwill today and the church thrift store. I can't use the stuff and hopefully it goes to someone who can.
Frequent Contributor

@Writer with Flair wrote:

This is just a reminder that children in need will be starting school in the fall.  I am planning to check the sale racks at T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. for childrens clothing,  shoes, socks, and underwear (new) to donate to my church's clothing closet.  

If you can, try to donate to places that give clothing and shoes directly to people in need.  I have heard of people going to Goodwill and the Salvation Army to purchase items so they can resell them on ebay.   I want to see these items going directly to the people that need them.

Thoughtful of you to post this @Writer with Flair! Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
If people are concerned about donating and not knowing where it's going then to me they are not giving from the heart. If you want to donate and no it's going to specific needy children you can donate to foster care. Often times these children are taken away in the middle of the night leaving behind what little they do have. I know someone from our church that works in the foster care system and she said they need underwear more than anything. Also, people donate more to small children than older children.

Years ago when my son was in grade school he had a friend he played with at school and I could tell the boy had nothing. The teacher mentioned if I had any clothing she had students she knew were in need. I asked if it was the boy Patrick and she sad yes. Anyway, I had a friend who was in a club that sponsored this family for a year. They bought school clothes, donated food for the holidays. The family worked but they were still very uneducated and poor and the mother had four kids. My point is that if your afraid to donate because you don't think it will go to the right people, ask around and see who is needy and you can give directly to them or find out how to get it to them.

Just a thought.

Beautifully said @NativeJax.

Respected Contributor

Don't forget to donate to your local schools as well.  Most schools I know have a collection of coats, shoes, socks, backpacks, school supplies, etc. for those kids who come to school with literally nothing.

I always buy extra school supplies every year since I have kids who come with only a couple things on the list or none at all.  And it's not just the beginning of the year --- new kids come in all the time throughout the year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a reminder that most of us have what we need; to give even one package of socks can mean a world of difference to one child.

Keep in mind that many children live in shelters; homelessness, domestic abuse, etc. - these children still attend school and need assistance. 

It's just a suggestion - we tend to think of Goodwill, churches, etc. for intact families but many children are not in their homes anymore.  They will need not only clothing but school supplies as well. 

Also if you go that route call ahead and ask what is needed specifically.   Six dozen pairs of socks in the wrong size or an abundance of girls clothes when boys are also in need isn't going to be as much help.

Give with kindness and without assuming that the parent(s) is(are) living on the dole. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh