Honored Contributor

Re: Don't you just hate it when the power goes out?

Our electricity goes out quite often. Our main problem is having a well and not being able to flush the toilet. We have a generator as do most of the people in the area. 

Any that didn't, soon had one after Hurricane Sandy.

Honored Contributor

Living out in the country for 18 years we had this happen a lot but the worst was during one ice storm with no power for three days.  Then the day it came back the water went off for six hours and upon its being put back on late that afternoon the power went back out again for a couple of hours. I was ready to loose my mind.  Thank goodness for the fireplace and a gas cook stove where I could at least light the burners and cook some.  No coffee but made lots of cocoa from scratch.  All fridge items were kept outside on the deck in the snow and ice.  By the end of the second day after living in the living room in front of the fire place I had my family help be human vacuum cleaners.  Our hot water heater was gas too so hot showers were no problem until you stepped out of the shower.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Plaid Pants Is my face red. I used spell check and didn't reread. It was supposed to be pass

I knew that it was a typo, and that you ment "Pass". 

I was just teasing, ya! Woman LOL

It's all good. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

It depends on the time of the day/night it happens. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Our next investment is going to be a whole house generator.

Honored Contributor

It looks like we will be having dinner out. We eat early ,Woman Winkand my husband dislikes cold food. I just got a call it won't be on until after 6 pm

Honored Contributor

Yes.  Power is Probably the worst thing to go out. When it does I do not know what to do with myself......my life comes to a standstill. I usually wrap myself into a blanket and just sit and wait for the lights to come on....or go to bed. The longest we had it out for was about 4 days after a huge wind/ ice storm. It was cold and I was miserable. I just do not function as a human without my creature comforts. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

It depends on the time of the day/night it happens. 

hckynut(john)

i agree.....and it also depends on the time of the year. i dont mind so much that the power goes out, especially in the daytime. it is more of an inconvenience then. when it is REALLY bad is in the wintertime and if it lasts for days. a few years ago we had a very bad snowstorm and our power was out for over 5 days. now THAT is when it gets tough.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Yes.  Power is Probably the worst thing to go out. When it does I do not know what to do with myself......my life comes to a standstill. I usually wrap myself into a blanket and just sit and wait for the lights to come on....or go to bed. The longest we had it out for was about 4 days after a huge wind/ ice storm. It was cold and I was miserable. I just do not function as a human without my creature comforts. 

Really? Seriously?

Things to when when the power is out:

read a book, magazine, newspaper

play boardgames

play card games

put together a jig saw puzzle

do crossword, sudoku, word search

sweep and/or mop the floors

have a conversation with someone

organize something

knit

exercise

if one puts their mind to it, there is always something that can be done to pass the time while the power is out.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Our power suddenly failed, so my husband called the Edison company right away. We went out to lunch.WE came home to a still dark house. Edison called us back and said a crew was on its way. These people are great. hey work in terrible weather and its dangerous work

We think a limb might have fallen on a line,as it's windy here today. Anyway my hubby  hooked my computer up to a generator, so I am able to ass the time online.

I can't think of anything I dislike more, than having no electricity. How about you?

I love it when the power goes out, especially at night.

I figure, if our great-grands survived life before electricity, I can survive for a few hours or even days without it.

I didn't know that we could say the "a" word here! *lol*

Oh it is not fun especially once you see the socks and underwear quickly dwindling down to one pair left!