Honored Contributor

Don't take it for granted, be grateful instead.

[ Edited ]

Think about it!

" I complained because I had no shoes, until I met a man, who had no feet."  

(my world, as I experience today.)

How's your world going?

Respected Contributor

Re: Don't take it for granted, be grateful instead.

@qualitygal a trip to the hospital can give you a whole new perspective.  I was complaining about a broken foot until I went to the hospital and saw injuries far more serious than mine.  Puts it in perspective for sure!  LM

Honored Contributor

When I was complaining a while back because I could barely walk due to a chronic ankle and foot problem, DH said the same thing to me --- at least you have a foot!  I try to remember there are always people worse off, way worse off!  At times you feel so poorly, you do tend to forget this.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently had a broken humerous, 2 bad hand brakes with complications which resulted in long term pt and ot.  It was rough especially because I could not use my hand and still cannot make a fist but the appointment after me at ot was a young man in his early 20's learning to use a prosthetic arm who had his whole life ahead and he was always in such good spirits.  What an attitude changer for me!

Esteemed Contributor

My husband has always been a good inspiration of this for me.  One time he was in an accident (he raced stockcars as a hobby).  There was a fire and he had a severe fuel burn on his hand.  He had to go daily and have the dead skin abraided and it hurt like crazy.  While he was waiting they wheeled a young girl in that was going in for the same thing only she had burns over 90% of her body.  She was screaming and he said the experience of seeing that was horrifying.  He was thankful he only had to have his hand done and he prayed for that dear girl.

Later in life he got cancer and took chemo treatments for 10 years.  He nearly died 3 times because of the side effects of it.  He finally was able to have a bone marrow transplant and the part of the hospital where the transplant doctors were shared the same waiting room with the children's cancer center.  My husband has a weak spot for children who are suffering or in need.  It was hard on him because he had to go there many many times.  

I have seen him in a hospital bed, in pain and near death, and yet when the nurses would come in and ask him how he was doing, he would say ,"Great, how are you?"

He always said, "You can always find someone that is much worse off than yourself."  That is very true.  

Good thread.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have spent a bit of time in nursing homes.  First, with my dear mom as a patient.  Second, as a volunteer in a skilled nursing unit in one for years.  There is much suffering, both physical and psychological.  It’s a touchstone for me.  It made me realize one big regret, that my education should have been directed working with the elderly poor in such a facility.

Esteemed Contributor

Somedays the complaints are many and I ground myself by always saying someone else has had it a lot worse today.  I also thank any worker in a store that I may encounter. They work so hard for us through this whole nightmare. ❤️🙏

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

When I was complaining a while back because I could barely walk due to a chronic ankle and foot problem, DH said the same thing to me --- at least you have a foot!  I try to remember there are always people worse off, way worse off!  At times you feel so poorly, you do tend to forget this.  

Sooo so true...I try to remember this...when I do, I feel so blessed. So many poor souls dealing with chronic illnesses, fatal ones...pain, suffering...makes me sad.

And makes me want to shut my mouth from all the petty whining I might be doing! 

My catch phrases when I start to complain over "little things": "first world problems!!" or "it's not cancer.". (God forbid)

🙏's to all for whatever you may be going through.

Contributor

I lost my mom when she was only 55. She had breast cancer. I am grateful for everyday, every doctor appointment and quiet moments she slept in my lap-I got to be with this amazing , wonderful person until she past. Fast forward twenty years, my dad has dementia which has progressed rapidly the last few years. I find ways to see him even now because I know the days are numbered when he will still remember me. Some days he looks at me and says"I know you" with the simplest grin on his face. Life is hard and sometimes we need to really dig to find our happy but man is it worth it even if it's a simple grin from a loved one. I check myself daily to keep the negative out and put out the things I want to receive, most days I am successful! 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

I hate that kind of saying. It makes people think that the way they feel doesn’t matter. How everyone feels matters. The fact that someone has no feet doesn’t make the situation for the person who has no shoes all better.