Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

First there's a thread that's been going on for days about an under-supervised/ignored  5 year old being destructive and how parents should never let their chldren out of their sight.  Now we have the other side of the coin about  helicopter parents hovering and smothering their children's creativeness and ability to make decisions as they grow into adulthood.  

Parents and children can't seem to catch a break.  Where's a happy medium?

@RoughDraft  We encourage our children to be creative and instill in them the ability to make decisions by guidance.

The unsupervised child in the other thread faced harm-either from the fallling art piece or even by being taken by a stranger.  The parents did not have to be helicopter parents but they did have the responsibility to know where there child was at this venue at all times.

There is a difference-and a big one. 

The natual curiosity of children has to be coupled with an understanding of what they are doing/looking at/etc.

Toddlers are curious about electrical outlets.  We are not helicopter parents by teacher the child "no" and covering the unused outlets, e.g.

You ask about a happy medium and I know that you know the answer.  Inspire our children and protect them.  One is not exclusive of the other.

@Cakers3 Once again, my statement about a happy medium had nothing to do with even-handedness in raising children.  It had to do with the heavy-handed judgement that's dealt out here on the forums by some. 

I fully  understand that raising a child is a daily juggling act between what they should and shouldn't do to raise a well-adjusted child into adulthood.  Predictions that a 5 year old will turn into a criminal because of one act is a "gift" that I wasn't born with.   With that said, no matter how hard some try, it doesn't always work out. 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~