Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Image result for sayings about common sense

@RoughDraft @QVCkitty1

Image result for common sense quotes

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Some kids succeed/fail because of their upbringing while others succeed/fail in spite of it. There is no crystal ball.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Here are some comments from a mother of seven....

https://alphamom.com/parenting/baby/no-children-allowed/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt  excellent post

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@RoughDraft @QVCkitty1

@Spurt, and it's not too common these days.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@RoughDraft @QVCkitty1

@Spurt, and it's not too common these days.

@QVCkitty1

You are so right not at all common.....and neither is responsibility..........

Honored Contributor

Kids need to be encouraged and therefore, empowered.

Esteemed Contributor

Guess the kid that knocked over the statue for $170,000 didn't get that helicoptering memo.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

First there's a thread that's been going on for days about an under-supervised/ignored  5 year old being destructive and how parents should never let their chldren out of their sight.  Now we have the other side of the coin about  helicopter parents hovering and smothering their children's creativeness and ability to make decisions as they grow into adulthood.  

Parents and children can't seem to catch a break.  Where's a happy medium?

@RoughDraft  We encourage our children to be creative and instill in them the ability to make decisions by guidance.

The unsupervised child in the other thread faced harm-either from the fallling art piece or even by being taken by a stranger.  The parents did not have to be helicopter parents but they did have the responsibility to know where there child was at this venue at all times.

There is a difference-and a big one. 

The natual curiosity of children has to be coupled with an understanding of what they are doing/looking at/etc.

Toddlers are curious about electrical outlets.  We are not helicopter parents by teacher the child "no" and covering the unused outlets, e.g.

You ask about a happy medium and I know that you know the answer.  Inspire our children and protect them.  One is not exclusive of the other.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Don't blame the kids

[ Edited ]

I agree with the happy medium.

I also think that ceasing all the demeaning of either parents or children would be beneficial. I'm sick of hearing that responsibility is a thing of the past. Comments like that are purely generational. Each generation thinks that theirs is the last acceptable one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland