Respected Contributor

"THE TIMES, THEY ARE A CHANGING".  Soon things will be delivered by robots and/or drones.  Then no more one day delivery - one hour instead.

Honored Contributor

I didn't understand what the article was trying to say but it's not a matter of anyone blaming Amazon for the death of brick&mortars and the dying out of malls.  It's just that with modern technology and changing lifestyles and desire for good values and choices; consumers just don't shop they way we did in the past.  Schlepping through malls and stores with shopping bags and being limited in what we can buy because stores can't stock much merchandise and their buyers have to go with "safe" items....well, that just isn't what people want anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I had assumed that online shopping was the reason for store closures.  I havn't been to a mall in years, but I do go to Home Goods once in a while.  Zulily and amazon is where I shop the most., then here.  

As for Macy's, I shop there online also, and havn't been in a store for many years.  I shop here, zulily, and amazon for most everything, so much easier.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I do not enjoy shopping but do make occasional trips to my local mall.  I went there last Tuesday to pick up something from the Container Store, check on an item at Crate and Barrell and pick up a shirt that Talbots was holding for me.  These were all things I had seen either in a catalog or on line. 

@DiAnne I hope you don't mind if I piggyback off of your post but I more than agree with the stores you have mentioned.  I have no problem with physically shopping in their stores as they are well stocked, staffed and helpful.

For me, the problem with Macy's (at least in the Chicagoland area) is that they bought out a Chicago icon (Marshall Field's) and didn't do a great job of replicating the services/merchandise that had been provided.  I have posted here often on the challenges I encountered with trying to purchase from Macy's so I won't repeat myself but I have long given up on taking the time to see if it has gotten any better there.

For me, I think there is a future for brick and mortar stores but goodness you have to make it worth the customer's time to drive, park, walk, shop and most importantly interact with your employees.  If I know a store has a great, positive and helpful staff I will more than take the time to purchase from that store.  I had a great experience at Michael's today purchasing silk flowers.  I casually asked when I was checking out if they had a particular shade of flowers in stock as I could not find them when looking through their merchandise and a virtual SWAT team showed up to help.  I am thrilled with my purchase and will most definitely make it a point to shop at that store again due to their great CS like Amazon.

Super Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I love my TJ Maxx - it's basically the only place I shop for clothing, household goods, beauty products.  I do like that the  inventory changes all the time.  I haven't stepped foot in a Macy's for over 5 years - and if I can remember at that time, they already had a section for reduced clothing - wasn't impressed - just stuff that everyone else didn't want.  I don't think it will work unless they open a "discount" store. 

Macy's already looks like a discount store! Actually, no, they look worse than a discount store! The only difference is TJ Maxx is neater and has lower prices. I love TJ Maxx! Macy's?  You can't even hardly get through their stores from all the junk in the middle of the aisles.....just a mess those stores. Then they bought up a bunch of other mid-level department stores such as our Marshall Field's and turned them into junk! Not a fan.

~~~ So many handbags....so few hands ~~~

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I do not enjoy shopping but do make occasional trips to my local mall.  I went there last Tuesday to pick up something from the Container Store, check on an item at Crate and Barrell and pick up a shirt that Talbots was holding for me.  These were all things I had seen either in a catalog or on line. 

@DiAnne I hope you don't mind if I piggyback off of your post but I more than agree with the stores you have mentioned.  I have no problem with physically shopping in their stores as they are well stocked, staffed and helpful.

For me, the problem with Macy's (at least in the Chicagoland area) is that they bought out a Chicago icon (Marshall Field's) and didn't do a great job of replicating the services/merchandise that had been provided.  I have posted here often on the challenges I encountered with trying to purchase from Macy's so I won't repeat myself but I have long given up on taking the time to see if it has gotten any better there.

For me, I think there is a future for brick and mortar stores but goodness you have to make it worth the customer's time to drive, park, walk, shop and most importantly interact with your employees.  If I know a store has a great, positive and helpful staff I will more than take the time to purchase from that store.  I had a great experience at Michael's today purchasing silk flowers.  I casually asked when I was checking out if they had a particular shade of flowers in stock as I could not find them when looking through their merchandise and a virtual SWAT team showed up to help.  I am thrilled with my purchase and will most definitely make it a point to shop at that store again due to their great CS like Amazon.

@momtochloe

I agree with you about Macy's.  Here in the PNW they bought out the Bon Marche (which was a store I really liked).  The place is a mess.  I take a short cut through it sometimes and there is no one in it - not even salespeople that you can see.  I am surprised it is still open.  

Regular Contributor

@Iluvhandbags wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I love my TJ Maxx - it's basically the only place I shop for clothing, household goods, beauty products.  I do like that the  inventory changes all the time.  I haven't stepped foot in a Macy's for over 5 years - and if I can remember at that time, they already had a section for reduced clothing - wasn't impressed - just stuff that everyone else didn't want.  I don't think it will work unless they open a "discount" store. 

Macy's already looks like a discount store! Actually, no, they look worse than a discount store! The only difference is TJ Maxx is neater and has lower prices. I love TJ Maxx! Macy's?  You can't even hardly get through their stores from all the junk in the middle of the aisles.....just a mess those stores. Then they bought up a bunch of other mid-level department stores such as our Marshall Field's and turned them into junk! Not a fan.

I agree! My entire wardrobe has pretty much been purchased at either TJs or Marshalls. I recently bought two pairs of NYDJ jeans for $39.99 each - about $100 under retail! My best find was about five years ago when my local TJs got in a shipment of St. John's knits (styles from the previous year).  Everything was $49.99. Now THAT was a good shopping day! I never seemed to have much luck buying clothes on sale at Macy's so I've stopped trying.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  I miss the Bon Marche and Fredrick's (blanking on the second name).  I only go to Macy's when I need some Fiestaware.

Super Contributor

Karma works -- Macy's purchased and got rid of Marshall Field's in Chicago and now that once fabulous store has the word "Macy's" stamped on it. 

You can't find anything on the racks - they are overloaded with stuff, nothing is in the right place, no customer service. 

The CEO of Macy's should have his family jewels put in a vise. 

Same like JC Penney's.  The CEO who took over 5-6 years ago (he's gone now) changed the whole layout/format of the store into individual boutiques; got rid of the coupon system and that's when JCP's downfall started.  He messed it up big time, got his golden parachute, and got kicked out.

You have these CEO's who don't understand the customer, the history, what works and what doesn't for a successful retail operation.   And they get paid $20-30M/year.

I think that Macy's attempt at these "Backstage" stores is way too late.  They've already missed the boat.

Honored Contributor

I shop in the stores when I need an item for a specific event/reason. As stated above, many times I will have to order the size/color I want online. Otherwise, I shop sales and clearance online.  It is much easier to pick through online than it is to go through rack after rack of stuff that is not in any type of order, half on the floor.  

Amazon hasn't spoiled me.  I shop online at Target and Walmart as well.  I can order my regular items that I buy there, on sale, with coupons and have it delivered to my door for free.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN