Honored Contributor

Re: Don't Forget Animals While Making Your Harvey Donations

More than 300 animals from regional shelters are being flown to California, Washington, Oregon and New Jersey to help make shelter space for pets rescued in the Hurricane Harvey aftermath, according to Wings of Rescue, a flight charity devoted to animals.

"By flying them out, displaced dogs from the flooding in Houston and western Louisiana will have safety where they can be reunited with their family," the organization said.

A Wings of Rescue flight, with 88 dogs and 20 cats on board from Acadiana Animal Aid in Lafayette, was scheduled to arrive Monday afternoon in San Diego," the group said.

Esteemed Contributor

Oregon, California, NJ and Washington all received dogs.

Trusted Contributor

The Today Show's website offered up a couple of animal rescue sites that wanted people to know that they had their wishlists set up on Amazon and your purchases would be sent directly to them.  It was easy for me to buy stuff off of their list and have it shipped to them.   

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

@cancun08 wrote:

The Today Show's website offered up a couple of animal rescue sites that wanted people to know that they had their wishlists set up on Amazon and your purchases would be sent directly to them.  It was easy for me to buy stuff off of their list and have it shipped to them.   

Best Friends Animal Society has a link to their list through their FB page. You can also donate through their website. They accept Paypal if desired, so little info needs to change hands.

They are strictly no-kill, and I'm sure they only partner with no-kill organizations. As excellent an organization as it is (no question) the SPCA as a national organization is not no-kill. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I made sure that it said "No Kill".  I am very careful when it comes to that. Thank you for your heads up & will pass it along to friends up here.

Honored Contributor

I feel the need of the animals  , i donate to them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

BTW, the larger planes are taking 200 dogs and cats at a time to those receiving them in different states.

I thought this would all be interesting or helpful to @goldensrbest but apparently not.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

When you see all the people being saved , i worry because i don't see all that many animals being saved.

I noticed that, too, @goldensrbest.

Trusted Contributor

I just read that Rachael Ray donated 1million dollars to various animal rescue groups in Texas.  Good for her!

Honored Contributor

I give money automatically every month to St Jude.  I decided to send money to animal societies to help the homeless animals there.

People will get lots of help but not as many people donate to animals.  I heard that Cher is donating money to the animal charities.