Honored Contributor

Re: Domestic Violence Awareness Site Posted Lessons to Be Learned from Gabby's Tragedy

@gertrudecloset    We don't know, do we? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Domestic Violence Awareness Site Posted Lessons to Be Learned from Gabby's Tragedy

@golding76  This is the saddest picture. When I first saw it days ago, all I could see were her hands positioned in a prayer pose. She probably didn't even know her hands were that way. She looked terrified.

If they were both having a tough time on this trip, with them BOTH ~supposedly slapping, shoving and hitting each other, I wish she would have texted her mom or birth, real father who lives in Vero Florida to wire her money and GET OUT of there. Or at the very least tell the Moab police that she wanted to be seperated with the idea of leaving Brian in the morning . Or when her mom, stepfather or real dad could fly out and get her. Pretty sure that's what I would have done. No...that is definitely what I would have done.

I ~think the reason that this case captured the attention of the world is because you can relate to her sweetness to cover for Brian. And the fact that this is pure domestic violence. SHE was going to change him. But it doesn't work that way. You cannot change anyone. Their true colors always bubbly to the surface.

If a man makes you cry for whatever reason, or makes you doubt yourself and just always wants to be with YOU and has no friends and wants you to have no friends, well that is a HUGE red flag. That is NOT love. It is control. It might seem like flattery at first to be his be all end all. It's not. You need to get rid of the whole man.

We all learned a lot about this kind of behavior from Nicole Brown. This will no doubt be a refresher course. I REALLY hate that we need a refresher course at Gabby's expense.

If and when he is found, I hope he is alive. A psychological work up would be interesting where he fell of the track in his life. If he DIDN'T kill her, a work up is still needed why he ran.

I also don't think that his parents are going to fair well either. What a mess.

This is all just MY opinion.

RIP Gabby

Honored Contributor

And this is happening to hundreds of woman every single day in this country. She is by far not the only victim.

And I'm convinced his c r a p p y parents have been in cahoots with him all this time.  I'll wait and see if anyone in authority can prove me wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can still vividly recall a teenage couple when I was in high school.  He was very overbearing and really had her under his thumb.  I witnessed what we all now call abusive behavior ... he would twist her arm and squeeze her and you could see the pain on her face.  I never saw any teacher interevene. 

I always wondered what ever happened to her.  I hope she got away from him.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76  I agree with most of what you said but I don't agree with #13, crediting the Moab police for how they handled the domestic violence situation.  They totally bungled it and that might have unfortunately played a huge part in what happened to Gabby.

We don't even know if Brian's injuries weren't self inflicted just to make it look like Gabby was the abuser.  We do know, from multiple witnesses, that Brian was a controlling and abusive boyfriend, but the police missed all the classic signs. The police should have done much more, not just separated them for the night. 

If Gabby was manic and unstable like they wrote in their report they should have, at minimum, taken her in for observation and she would have been attended to by psychiatric professionals.  Or Gabby, or both Gabby and Brian, should have been arrested.  In any of these scenarios their families back east very likely would have been notified of what was going on. 

Instead, the police's actions allowed them to get back together the next day, maybe even that same night. With the police actually condoning Brian's behavior and not excusing Gabby's, tensions likely continued to mount and his anger and abuse  continued to escalate because the argument between them was never resolved.

This led to Brian becoming even more unstable, displaying his narcissist and abusive behavior towards her in public places and, very likely, causing her murder in the next few days. The Moab police should expect a huge lawsuit from Gabby's family for their inept handling of this case.

Esteemed Contributor

There was an interview I saw with a couple from Utah.  They had seen Brian slapping Gabby and called the Utah police.  I guess that very important call was lost in their “system.”  How could that be?  Was that not extremely relevant?

And since when does crying indicate a “mental problem”???

That “diagnosis” by police makes me cringe.  Just because she was shaken and crying after an abusive event? 

Shame on the Utah police.  They missed an opportunity and erred in their judgment of Gabby.. And certainly will not even get into how little I think of Brian’s family.

May this precious young woman Rest In Peace.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to say that I saw a case of abuse directed toward a member of my family.  Never physical, but very methodical, trying to destroy a person’s self-esteem.  And it can happen with older and highly educated people.

After the breakup, I became the focus of the abuser.  I was the cause of the breakup, you see.  I will end it here, as you will have to see the movie version.  

Respected Contributor

@golding76 

Which DV website was your post taken from? TIA

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

Isn't this all speclation? Has there even been a police press conference to verify any of these claims?

I contend we really don't know much at this point. I wont railroad Laundrie yet.

As a former victim of domestic violence, I see all the signs just from the videos and police cam and other pictures shown on the news. That he locked her out of the van is telling. That he was mad about her working was telling.

Obviously the cop saw signs too because he talked to her about it and his own history.

Please don't revictimize victims.

BTW, if Laundrie was innocent, he wouldn't have run away.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

There was an interview I saw with a couple from Utah.  They had seen Brian slapping Gabby and called the Utah police.  I guess that very important call was lost in their “system.”  How could that be?  Was that not extremely relevant?

And since when does crying indicate a “mental problem”???

That “diagnosis” by police makes me cringe.  Just because she was shaken and crying after an abusive event? 

Shame on the Utah police.  They missed an opportunity and erred in their judgment of Gabby.. And certainly will not even get into how little I think of Brian’s family.

May this precious young woman Rest In Peace.

There is police cam video of the cop talking to Gabby about domestic violence and he even relayed his own story so he didn't really miss it. But I agree, Laundrie should have been arrested for slapping her.