Honored Contributor

Re: Dolly Parton To Have Lifestyle Line Including Fashion And Home Goods

@wildcat fan wrote:

I wonder if her fashion line will be like what's in the Dolly's Closet store at Dollywood.  Reminds me of bling and flashy instead of country/western.  

@wildcat fan   Country Western entertainers invented bling and sparkles LONG before others wore it.  Those old guys with the sparkly jackets in the 1950's and 60's? 

Porter Wagoner was a leader of the pack.

I guess some people like to make fun of anything country western.  Whatever you think about Dolly, she overcame a lot in her life and has done some very amazing things.

In today's world you could do far worse then Dolly for a female role model 

Respected Contributor

we dont  need another celeb line of anything lmbo

Honored Contributor

Perhaps this will sound unkind, but I can't imagine liking anything Dolly has to offer.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think there is a real market for her line.  Lots of women I see like that sort of western/country/flash type of clothes and things.  

There are hundreds of small town botique places in Oklahoma and all of them have exactly the same thing:  rustic looking signs with sayings on them, pillows with things written, candle holders with fancy drops, that "country" style of clothing, decor, etc. etc.

Maybe she will bring something new and some affordable furniture that people would want.  People buy that stuff that those shiplap people sell. . . 

Really? Where? It seems like blingy western wear would be an extremely small market. I don't think it will be that specialized.

While the "shiplap people's" stuff is pretty basic and uninspiring, it is at least on trend and made for the masses.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Depends on what company actually makes the line. Dolly isn’t going to sitting at a sewing machine or swinging a hammer.....they will listen to what she likes and then r&d takes over...they know what is marketable and what isn’t. I’m thinking she may not pocket the proceeds but may put it into her nonprofit that helps children and literacy.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think there is a real market for her line.  Lots of women I see like that sort of western/country/flash type of clothes and things.  

There are hundreds of small town botique places in Oklahoma and all of them have exactly the same thing:  rustic looking signs with sayings on them, pillows with things written, candle holders with fancy drops, that "country" style of clothing, decor, etc. etc.

Maybe she will bring something new and some affordable furniture that people would want.  People buy that stuff that those shiplap people sell. . . 

Really? Where? It seems like blingy western wear would be an extremely small market. I don't think it will be that specialized.

While the "shiplap people's" stuff is pretty basic and uninspiring, it is at least on trend and made for the masses.

@JJsMom   Well, think of any part of the country where there are ranches and working farm and ranch people.  The vast states where people have land and animals, go to cattle auctions and produce all that beef you see at the stores.

Think about farming states where we produce wheat and corn and veggies that we consume here and ship abroad.  Think about all the people who work and wear bluejeans and boots every day.

Think of Texas and the Southwest.  Actually probably most of the nation.  Think of people, especially young people, who love country music.  Blake Shelton, Garth Brooks, and Carrie Underwood.  Think Oklahoma

Western wear is what a lot of people wear every day.  A lot of people, especially young people, would wear dressier items to a party, a concert, a night out on the weekend.  

It is VERY common here to go to a football game and see young women in shorts, jeans, or skirts and boots, a team shirt with some embellishment on it, and a cowboy hat.    Walk into any small town downtown "antique"/clothing/candle/decor botique and you will know what I mean.  Think Pioneer Woman.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Perhaps this will sound unkind, but I can't imagine liking anything Dolly has to offer.

No perhaps about it.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

@Sooner wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I wonder if her fashion line will be like what's in the Dolly's Closet store at Dollywood.  Reminds me of bling and flashy instead of country/western.  

@wildcat fan   Country Western entertainers invented bling and sparkles LONG before others wore it.  Those old guys with the sparkly jackets in the 1950's and 60's? 

I guess some people like to make fun of anything country western.  Whatever you think about Dolly, she overcame a lot in her life and has done some very amazing things.

@Sooner wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I may be from Texas but I don't like C&W music, country type clothing, flashy and bling stuff, never owned cowboy boots or hats.  But I love Dolly.  And I agree that she is an excellent role model for young women.  She is talented, creative, hard working, kind and works harder than probably all of us put together.   While I'm relaxing and enjoying retirement, she hasn't slowed down.

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

I heard it’s going to be called workin 9 to 5 fashions for the busy career woman. 🤣

See the source image

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

---

Those rhinestone-studded suits that Porter Wagoner (and many others) wore are called "Nudie suits," named after the designer/tailor Nudie Cohn.