Honored Contributor

We stopped at a roadside rest area.I went to get us drinks at the vending machine and it said they take $10 bill so I used one - the change was 6 one dollar coins. Slightly larger than a quarter and gold in color. I don't believe I've ever seen dollar coins.

Esteemed Contributor

I have them but I am surprised a machine would give them as change.  In any case enjoy them.  I find them interesting. But be careful when you use them.  It is so easy to mistake them for quarters. 

Respected Contributor

I still have some Susan B. Anthony dollar coins .

Trusted Contributor

Some time ago I purchased a book of stamps from the USPS lobby on a Sunday.   I got my change in dollar coins.   That is the only place I have received them.  

The tooth fairy should use them.   MDIL gave my grandson $20 for his latest tooth.  My son was furious when it was mentioned days later.  She said that was the only money she had in her pocket.  Her neighbor told her that was the going rate for 9 year olds.  It won't be any more in that house.  

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We stopped at a roadside rest area.I went to get us drinks at the vending machine and it said they take $10 bill so I used one - the change was 6 one dollar coins. Slightly larger than a quarter and gold in color. I don't believe I've ever seen dollar coins.

@Yes, they are sl larger than quarters & an irregular shape..we always got them in change when using a stamp/ package machine @ the post office...Susan B Anthony dollars..need to look up the dates on them.

Trusted Contributor

I used to work close to the Canadian border and they have similar looking. dollar coins, too. Nicknamed "loonies" since there was a loon imprinted on them.

Honored Contributor

@151949  Sure you've heard of dollar coins... silver dollar?  Did the ones you got have an Indian on one side?  If so, it could be the Sacajewea dollar.  I have one in a bezel I wear on a chain. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Canada has a one dollar coin - called a Loonie (there's a Loon on the back of the coin).  Canada also has a two dollar coin called a Toonie.  And - Canada does not use pennies anymore.

Respected Contributor

I have a few real silver dollar coins & the $2 bill just one of that. Remember the $2 bill? Also got a few Scotland money (pennys) before they all went into change of the exchange.  

Honored Contributor

when you ride the light rail here in our area and put in a larger bill, you get all dollar coins back.

i get dollar coins from the bank all the time.....the gold scagawea ones and the silver susan b anthony ones. i also like to pick  up two dollar bills.

i have given my kids dollar coins ever since they were little. for every birthday i give them gifts PLUS the number of dollar coins that equal their age. i also give them a two dollar bill. for christmas, i give them a two dollar bill and the last two digits of the year in dollar coins......so this year they will each get 17 dollar coins for christmas.

one good thing about the dollar coins and two dollar bills......they have kept most of them. it is a good way to encourage saving. they think the coins are very special and rare so they dont like to spend them. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein