Honored Contributor

They re-up dollar coins every so often, but foolishly, in recent memory, have made both dollar and half dollar coins too similar is size to quarters, so many people don't want to use them. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

They re-up dollar coins every so often, but foolishly, in recent memory, have made both dollar and half dollar coins too similar is size to quarters, so many people don't want to use them. 

They are gold, not silver and noticeably larger & heavier than a quarter. It would be pretty strange for someone to not notice the difference.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

They are gold, not silver and noticeably larger & heavier than a quarter. It would be pretty strange for someone to not notice the difference.

And yet this is one of the reasons the Treasury says they don't take off and hence why don't make many of them and why they aren't in wider circulation... I guess a lot of folks don't scrutinize every coin they take out of their wallet or pocket...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Over ten years ago, I began giving the Presidential coins to nieces and nephews for birthdays and/or Christmas. I also bought them an initial collector's folder to save them in.

i remember telling my oldest niece, at that time, that she would be driving when her collection would be complete. She just graduated from high school. 

Four dollar designs were released each year. 

The last one has now been made. No coins are made of living presidents.

i continue to think it was a neat thing to do, but I have no idea if any of the six kids have kept the collection up to date. Mostly I have mailed them and for those, I've never heard a word about them.

The ones I've given in person have garnered a short "thanks".

I saw the whole collection through to the end, and I'm glad it is over.  

I did put together a collection for my 2 year old grandson to give to him one of these days.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

And yet this is one of the reasons the Treasury says they don't take off and hence why don't make many of them and why they aren't in wider circulation... I guess a lot of folks don't scrutinize every coin they take out of their wallet or pocket...

It doesn't take much scrutiny to see one is gold and the other silver. Also - the dollar  is much heavier in the hand than the quarter. 

Honored Contributor

@151949

just a fyi.......not ALL dollar coins are gold.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein